Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Service advice

Hello All

I have just purchased a KZ130 3.0 SSRX 1995. Its looking really good on the outside but I would like to get the under the bonnet upto scratch as well.

It obviously still has the Japanese filters, oil, coolant etc and I was wondering if anyone around this general area could run through the basics of filter change, oil change, coolant flush (could probably do this one with all the great info found on the site). I am not that mechanically minded but am quite good with my hands (or er!!) and would tackle most building housey projects myself just never got into car mechanics but would love to!!

If anyone around here or within close(ish) proximity could spare an afternoon going through this, I would be prepared to buy all the servicing items for my vehicle and yours, if yours was coming up for service - meaning you get a totally free service. or pay you for your time.

I would really love to maintain this vehicle myself and as it needs reqular servicing would be great if i could handle these inbetween services

Cheers

n0rm (Tom)

P.S I know there is a wealth of info around on this site and the net etc but I would still always be wondering if I was doing it right.

Preferably somebody with a 3.0 so that both our engines are the same would be great.
    "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

I guess this would infer that nobody wants to!!

I don't blame ya!

Can anyone suggest a manual that covers these things in the kind of detail that would enable a relative novice to carry out these procedures on the KZN130?

Cheers

n0rm

Comment

hi,
      just did a service on my KZN130 the other weekend. Oil filter, diesel filter, oil, new coolant.
      If you have done a bit of service work before this should be no problem for you.
      The only thing i didn't like was the oil filter change because the filter is on upside down so when you remove it it tends to spill a bit of oil, not too bad if you unscrew it quick and then turn it up the other way.
      Diesel filter change was simple enough, just remember to prime the filter after replacing using the pump on the top before trying to start the vehicle.
      Coolant was also pretty easy, just drained old coolant via tap and hose on bottom of radiator and flushed through with water a few times then refilled with a new coolant mix.
      always do my own servicing as i begrudge paying garage rip off prices and they dont always change what they say they have.

Go on have a go at doing it yourself its not that hard.

good luck
      1993 SSR-G 3.0TD KZN130

Comment

Originally posted by cooperman
        The only thing i didn't like was the oil filter change because the filter is on upside down so when you remove it it tends to spill a bit of oil, not too bad if you unscrew it quick and then turn it up the other way.
        There is a drain in the shield surrounding the oil filter, if you put a drip tray underneath the car you should see the drain tube that comes down from it. That will catch the oil all nice and neat, lot better than the 2.4 that just goes all over the place.

Cheers

Comment

Did first service a couple of weekends ago....first time on any vehicle owned and everything was so simple and straightforward.

Just read the literature of the site and you'll be fine.
          Gaz

Comment

If you can get up to Basingstoke we can sort something out.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oil Filter Changes

A couple of things I do when changing the oil filter.

After you have got the filter spinning, but before the seal has parted company with the the block face, stab something into the very top of the filter to make a small hole. I found a scriber to be ideal. This then allows the filter to fully drain back into the sump before you spin it off = no mess.
              Do not do this until you are sure the filter is going to spin off!!

I also keep an 8mm bolt screwed into the filter skirt drain tube, other than when draining, as I found this leaks for days after a filter change.

Comment

Cheers for all your advice - guess i'll just get the parts and give it a go - are these procedures covered in most maintenance manuals.

Cheers Tony for the offer but Basingstoke is quite a long way.

n0rm

Comment

First time I serviced my 2.4 it took me over 4 hours. I have been doing it myself for 17 months and have got a full service, including grease points down to 1hr 20mins. Practice makes perfect. I was a total spannerphobe until I got the Surf. You will probably find that everthing is very tight the first time. I think the word finger tight +1 got translated to f***ing tight +1 in the Jap manuals.

The neighbours call me Fred Dibner now because I spend half my life in greasy overalls!!
                  Give it a go............you know you want to
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Great mechanic in Devon

Hi N0rm

A friend of mine runs a garage from his back yard - fully equipped etc. His prices are so low you would not believe. And he is very honest. I like to deal with the 'easy' service items myself. But for anything complicated or messy, I spend the day down south. I got the cam belt changed, plus a waxoyl for under £100. Including all parts!!

If you can make it as far as Newton Abbot, I can put you in touch with him.

Only trouble is... he tends to get very booked up in advance, so needs plenty of notice.

Cheers - Jimbob

Comment

Cheers jimbob_steele

That sounds like a good idea. I may try and get this service done myself but am possibily in need of changing the front brake discs/pads/cam belt and possibily waxoyl so this might be a good idea

Cheers

n0rm

Comment

Pads/discs are easy

Hi n0rm

Having done the pads/discs myself, I think they are one of the easiest jobs. And very little mess too! You can get the bits from Milners, and there is a walkthrough linked on the site somewhere.

I drew the line at the timing belt job.

Cheers - Jimbob

PS: Send me a PM when you want the details of the friendly backyard garage.

Comment

Timing belt's a doddle

Give the timing belt a go, the only really fiddly bit is the bolts holding the cover on. Oh and you need a vice and a 1.5mm allen key to compress the tensioner. Otherwise its easy, the timing belt has marks on it the coincide with the timing marks on the pulleys.
                          Allen Holman - Elsbett Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by n0rm
                            Hello All

I have just purchased a KZ130 3.0 SSRX 1995. Its looking really good on the outside but I would like to get the under the bonnet upto scratch as well.

It obviously still has the Japanese filters, oil, coolant etc and I was wondering if anyone around this general area could run through the basics of filter change, oil change, coolant flush (could probably do this one with all the great info found on the site). I am not that mechanically minded but am quite good with my hands (or er!!) and would tackle most building housey projects myself just never got into car mechanics but would love to!!

If anyone around here or within close(ish) proximity could spare an afternoon going through this, I would be prepared to buy all the servicing items for my vehicle and yours, if yours was coming up for service - meaning you get a totally free service. or pay you for your time.

I would really love to maintain this vehicle myself and as it needs reqular servicing would be great if i could handle these inbetween services

Cheers

n0rm (Tom)

P.S I know there is a wealth of info around on this site and the net etc but I would still always be wondering if I was doing it right.

Preferably somebody with a 3.0 so that both our engines are the same would be great.

Tom, I'm in South Chard so if you need any moral or even physical support get in touch. I get my servicing done at Shute Garage near Axminster but that's only throiugh laziness. I'm sure I could do quite a lot more myself - I certainly used to in my youth

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Cheers mate

I have done all the servicing bits for now! I am at some point gonna get around to changing the brake discs and timing belt but will probably wait till after chrimbo

Cheers for all the info

n0rm

Comment

Working...
                              X