Speedo reading slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo reading slow

My speedo reads slow by about 15mph as far as I can judge. As this is potentially licence threatening I'd liek to knwo if anyone has had a similar experience - and is it possible to adjust the speedo (I'm thinking maybe the needle return spring) at all to correct? At the very least can someone tell me at what speed does the 4th gear lock up on a 3.0 litre auto so I can get a better fix on the true speed - mine kicks in around an indicated 40 = 2100rpm.

By the way - its nothing to do with kms/miles conversion. had a new face fitted - not a mod to the drive - and the odometer continues to count kms accurately.

Cheers

Kev

Sounds like your needle has been put back on the shaft in the wrong place when its been removed to fit the new face.Not sure how to set it though.I suppose you could disconnect your rear prop-shaft and set it with the engine rpm.My 3.0 is doing just over 60 when it locks up in 4th.If you need any speed/rpm readings let me know, and I`ll make a note of some next time I`m out in it.I know its doing 80mph @ 2800rpm if thats any help.Mines a 95ssrx on standard wheels and 265/75 tyres.Hope that helps.
    Don`t get mad,get even !

Comment

I hadn't thought of the needle being replaced wrongly - certainly sounds like a plausible cause doesn't it?

Thanks for the info on lockup speed and 80mph figures. Can you let me know what the lockup rpm is? With those two sets of figures I should be able to sort it out.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Speedo readings

Had a run out today and noted these readings,70mph=2300rpm.80mph=2 750rpm.86mph=3000rpm.The lock-up speed varies between 55-65mph,depending on throttle position,road conditions etc.A safe bet seems to be 70mph=2300rpm with the overdrive engaged.At least at that speed you know its in lock-up and the rpm-mph match should be pretty accurate.Hope that helps.
        Don`t get mad,get even !

Comment

Likewise ..

Originally posted by stormrider
          Sounds like your needle has been put back on the shaft in the wrong place when its been removed to fit the new face.Not sure how to set it though.I suppose you could disconnect your rear prop-shaft and set it with the engine rpm.My 3.0 is doing just over 60 when it locks up in 4th.If you need any speed/rpm readings let me know, and I`ll make a note of some next time I`m out in it.I know its doing 80mph @ 2800rpm if thats any help.Mines a 95ssrx on standard wheels and 265/75 tyres.Hope that helps.
          Yea .. mine changes into 4th @ 64mph. Last year whilst towing in Spain,and AT A STANDSTILL .. the speedo decided to register 15 mph ! I thought of ghosts ! Hasent done it since though !

Comment

Mine will go into lockup at anywhere from 50-60mph depending on throttle position. Mine, in lockup, does 60 mph at 2000 rpm & 70mph at 2350 rpm. 80 mph comes in at about 2600 rpm.
            Mike G

Comment

Speedo

Hi,

I've just picked up my new Surf and have convinced myself that somethings not quite right. I figure I'm doing about 5-10mph slower that the reading on the gauge. I like the idea that it;s the needle that's been installed incorrectly following the change of dial face.

Is it an easy job to rectifu this little problem?

Comment

Thanks everybody.

Seems like 2300 @ 70mph is a good standard. Just hope I can hold the Surf steady at 70mph while I fiddle with the needle! I've got half the dash off at present anyway as I'm fitting a new radio.

While we are on the subject of gears (loosely) - I've come to the conclusion that the gearbox is effectively 5 speed - with lockup 4th being the "5th" gear. Anyone agree?

Just a thought Foggy, you might be experiencing the 'tank commander effect' that afflicts us all for the first few weeks. Its kind of the opposite of the effect you get when driving a go-kart for the first time

Cheers

Kev
                Last edited by exmee46; 28 October 2004, 23:05.

Comment

Tank commander

Hi Kev,

Yes, it's quite possible the height is making me think I'm going slower than I actually am... There's a village I drive thru that has one of those '40mph - slow down' electronic gizmos that lights up when your over that speed. Thing is, I've driven thru it at an indicated 45 in the Surf and it ain't gone off?

I'm not gonna try it with the local speed camera though! I'll leave it another couple of weeks before I take my tank commanders hat off...

Cheers

Nathan

Comment

Where in East Sussex are you.

Comment

OK, I have the definitive answer - err I think.....

I took the dash front off and armed with a borrowed GPS unit spent an hour driving up and down the M5 at various speeds. The (electronic) speedo needle can be carefully repositioned by moving it against the stop each end. For the low end you have to raise it over the dial stop needle - there is another stop in the works somewhere.

3.0ltr diesel auto on std big tyres (265/70 x 15) I got the following:

in lockup 4th gear the gearing is near enough 27 mph/1000 rpm.

So:

2000 = 54 - (pretty much where the lockup comes in)
                      2500 = 68
                      3000 = 81
                      3500 = 95
                      4000 = You're nicked son

Cheers

Kev

And thanks for all the feedback.
                      Last edited by exmee46; 11 November 2004, 00:32.

Comment

I recently had the opportunity to drive on a quiet motorway and wondered what would be flat out speed

I regularly do motorway miles and (allegedly) it runs with bags of power spare at 85MPH
                        But pedal through the floor and it will not exceed 95MPH (allegedly)

is this the normal top end or do I have a speedo problem?

Mine changes into top at approx 50MPH!
                        Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

My SAT-NAV records my speed to be slower than the speedo. Im running 31x10.5x15 tyres.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
                            But pedal through the floor and it will not exceed 95MPH (allegedly)

is this the normal top end or do I have a speedo problem?
                            More like a engine problem! Linda's reports she's had the bullet up to 110 before bottling it, thats with 31's on a truck thats geared for 265's , so its reading a little slow.

She's nuts!
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                              My SAT-NAV records my speed to be slower than the speedo. Im running 31x10.5x15 tyres.
                              Followed a new Toyota Prius the other night, you can see the digital speedo through the window, it was reading 74 and the bullets speedo said we were doing 69.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X