Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure

OK, finally got the Surf and getting used to it. One thing I've noticed is that the oil pressure seems low. I checked the other threads on the site and found the diagram and while it is within the limits shown, it really is at the bottom end of the range. Oil is fresh, as is filter, engine runs smooth quiet and powerful and no hint of overheating.

So, does anyone know what the actual pressure should be in lbs/sq in or Kg/square thingummy, so i can get it checked out (although not sure what I'd do if it really was low)?

Alternatively, if enough of you join the thread and tell me yours shows low too, I'll probably be sufficiently comforted.

Cheers

Kev
    Last edited by exmee46; 8 October 2004, 23:52.

Low Oil pressure

Hi

I just got my 3.0 diesel and have also been worried by the oil pressure being low on the gague, I have now done 1500 miles and it hardly moves from 1/4 to 1/2 of the gauge. I will fit a proper psi gague soon and let you know what reading I get

Peter

Comment

I had the same worry about mine. It's always only just right of the low mark under acceleration and drops back under on overrun. I've done an oil & filter change recently and it's just the same with new oil in. It's more likely the guage just reads low.
      Mike G

Comment

I'm starting to feel better already - keep 'em coming.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

I think the 'normal' position on a 3.0L diesel is between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the dial depending on how hard you're reving it. At about 2000 rpm I expect to see it sit on the 1/4 mark.

The thing that will improve oil flow is using an engine flushing compound every time you change the oil. Run the engine for 10 mins with some engine flush prior to droping it and putting in the new oil. This helps clear all the crud from the oilways and sump. After a few treatments you will notice the difference. A new oil filter will improve flow too.

Change the oil & filter every 5000km and do an engine flush you should see an improvement.

Personnal I use a cheapo turbo diesel oil (£5/5l) as changing every 5000km with synthetic would be expensive!! I figure it's not in there long enough before being changed to do any harm.......

Comment

Linda's 3.0 has been running on the low end of the approved marks for quite a while now (since Xmas at least), she's say it used to be better, but has always been like it since I've lived here.

Its better for the first day of new oil, then drops as the oils thins. Its worse with semi-syn. oil, as it flows better, and shows up wear in the pump and bearings.

I'm gonna check the pump soon, but its no panic. Just general engine wear IMHO.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have always thought oil gauge low until a recent oil change which due to an oil filter not sealing (as the old rubber seal had remained unnoticed in poor light) this resulted in truck pumping at least 2 litres of oil whilst moving out of garage afterwards. the resulting slick of oil along the garage proved it has a high pumping rate despite what the guage suggests.

Comment

oil pressure

my 3.0 td is the same the gauge was reading just over half way under load and dropped to nothing on tickover it has improved a lot since oil and filter change plus adding wynns stop smoke

Comment

You will quite often see lower pressure when you have new oil in anyway as it causes less resistance to being pumped around. The circulation is more important than the pressure anyway.

Mine reads on 1/4 when idling and 3/4 when being reved hard, just over 1/2 when cruising.

Cheers

Comment

Me 2. A quater @ idle, half @ cruising except when cold....I use gloves and scarf?

Comment

Kev,
                      Reading should be

At idle its 4.3 PSI - 0.3 Kgf/Cm2 or more
                      At 3000 RPm its 33 PSI - 2.5 Kgf/Cm2 or more

Hope that helps
                      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob - I've just got an proper TIM oil pressure gauge so I'll try and fit it this weekend.

Those numbers that you gave don't look very high to me anyway so what I am seeing on the Surf is probably OK.

Thanks again

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Oil Pressure - Another positive reply

I'm on my 6th Hilux the last two being surfs and the current one being a 3.0ltr.
                          I've found my oil pressure to be always about 1/4 under normal cruising and about 1/2 when under acceleration.

So I would say yours is just about fine.

Comment

Have to agree Truckb normal!!

Comment

Working...
                            X