Cv's locking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cv's locking up

I picked up my first surf yesterday (94 2nd gen) and its an absolute beast, the only problem we found with it is that on full lock forwards and reverse it's seems that the cv's are being pushed too far and locking on themselves.
    The surf has a 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift and 35" tyres the cv's do look to be a quite an angle probably somewhere around 20-30 degrees from horizontal.

Other than when the wheels are on full lock there's no problems atall. Is my only option to lower it slightly to reduce the angle on the cv's? I have been told I could install some sort of steering stops to reduce the steering lock thus not putting to much stress on the cv's.

Any advise would be awesome cheers

35s???
    are you sure is that, and not the rubber hitting the wheel arch in full lock?
    pics?
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

After checking what Budweiser said, Tyre size ?? n there not rubbing ??
      Ya could try fitting Freewheeling Hubs ...
      Good Luck

16+ Years of Surfs .. Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Also make sure you haven't got 4x4 engaged when on tarmac

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies
          I think we did check it wasn't the tyres rubbing and its wasn't that. When it does lock up its pretty clunky and sounds to be metal not rubber on plastic.
          I'll get some pictures at somepoint today

Comment

with a 2" suspension lift cv's should be fine. tho a diff drop will reduce angle a bit and should help them last longer.

just check your not hitting the stops and its binding on the stops rather than sliding.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
              with a 2" suspension lift cv's should be fine. tho a diff drop will reduce angle a bit and should help them last longer.

just check your not hitting the stops and its binding on the stops rather than sliding.
              What stops do you mean? The steering lock?

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy View Post
                What stops do you mean? The steering lock?
                yes the steering stops. could be the adjusters are wound right in and you have to much lock, tho thats rare with big tires.

Comment

I think that's going to be the first thing i try, if i can free up the steering stops that is. Im going to try reduce the steering lock so the cv's arnt locking on them selves.
                  Cheers for all the help everyone

Comment

Hopefully by next week this should be sorted, I've ordered a diff drop kit to reduce the angles on the cv's. Although if the problem still persists I'll have to wind out the steering stops. I'll update once I've install the diff drop

Comment

can you tell us the thickness of the pieces of the kit, please.
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I went for the 1" kit and plan to make up my own spacers for the anti roll bar out of some ally

Comment

Working...
                        X