Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake cylinder issue

Hi to all
    Wondering if someone can help, since i have had my surf ( gen 3 ) i have had to replace near side rear brake cylinder three times now, could there be a reason for this ? i normally get the cylinders from roughtrax.

cheers Matt

When my passenger side rear brake cylinder was leaking a few years ago I just replaced the 4 rubber seals (brake cyl kit, Toyota part number 04906-35130) and all has been ok since. Each cylinder has 2 bigger seals and 2 smaller ones.

Worth a try as the kit is quite cheap.

Cheers

Comment

you not said what was wrong with um
      it would help us NON clairvoyant
      the old git

Comment

re brakes

Problems is i have had three of them just go on me, and end up with drum full of brake fluid which causes ineffective braking.

just wanted to know could their be a problem with pressure to that line ? for some reason could it be giving more pressure from the master cylinder maybe because its the furthest away.

i was also thinking could it have something to do with brake shoes, if they were to thin, it might cause excessive travel for the pin/rod in the cylinder ( haven't checked the shoes yet, only just got the truck back, but will check this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
          When my passenger side rear brake cylinder was leaking a few years ago I just replaced the 4 rubber seals (brake cyl kit, Toyota part number 04906-35130) and all has been ok since. Each cylinder has 2 bigger seals and 2 smaller ones.

Worth a try as the kit is quite cheap.

Cheers
          hi tashtego
          the problem seems to be ongoing, so could be a problem somewhere els, hence the reason I'm getting the problem to start with, so far the only thing that does cross my mind is i have only put on aftermarket cylinders and not OM ones, but still they have come from roughtrax so you would think they should be ok.

Comment

i fancy its down to adjustment
            are you adjusting the brakes when you put new clys on
            or are your ajusters winding out by themselfs
            i have seen this a lot if they are it will push yer
            the rubbers out too far and leak oil into drum
            the old git

Comment

I'd also suggest checking the drum for wear and making sure it is not out of working tolerance, which could lead to the shoes coming out to far.

Comment

re brakes

Hi and thanks for the replies, i plan to have a look this weekend, i will strip the drums down and check all you guys have mentioned to see if its noticeable. will check drums for wear and will look into breaks to see if there winding out. once again thanks and ile keep you posted.

big thanks matt

Comment

Originally posted by bryanisaoldgit View Post
                  i fancy its down to adjustment
                  are you adjusting the brakes when you put new clys on
                  or are your ajusters winding out by themselfs
                  i have seen this a lot if they are it will push yer
                  the rubbers out too far and leak oil into drum
                  will check. and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    I'd also suggest checking the drum for wear and making sure it is not out of working tolerance, which could lead to the shoes coming out to far.
                    will check drums. and thanks

Comment

re brakes

Took drums off today to inspect inside, only to find a bloody mess, both the seals on the cylinder have been cooked, drum was soaking with brake fluid or might have been a mix of brake fluid and gear oil. i inspected the hub to find there was play in it and the seal behind the hub wasn't located properly, i checked the other side and all was good ( nice and dry ) and hub had slight play in it, what i mean by that is i really gave them a good shake, the good side had a little play could have been about a 1mm - 2mm play, and would say the other side around 3mm play.
                      Drums are worn both sides ( could be original ones ) pad thickness on both sides were ok.

its got me thinking maybe due to the play on the hub, it could be the reason for causing the cylinder to fail.

is there suppose to be play on the hubs ?

Comment

re brakes

Hi again
                        Complete new brake set up including drums now arrived ( roughtrax ) gone for new pads, drums,brake kit, and two cylinders.

problem i have inspected both the hub/stud hubs and the near side had excessive play compared to off side one, i am aware there is a very little play to be expected but the the near side one you could move about 3-5 mm up and down, so i believe it to be down to bearing or when i had a new seal fitted by a mate he may not have set it up right (inlined incorrectly) sleeves.
                        this could be the reason for the excessive heat build up due to rubbing from brake pads not being true and also if it wasn't assembled correctly to begin with it would explain diff oil getting into drum.
                        so new bearing and seals to be fitted ( what a pig of a job ), i might be going over the top but am thinking of getting the off side done aswel, last thing i need is for that side to afterwards

Comment

Do it Arkamelis - she'll thank you for it regardless of brake issues, and it probably is related.

Comment

from good to bad

took my truck in to have the bearings fitted to find out the abs ring was in pieces, sad thing is you would have thought this would have been part of the bearing kit, or is that just me and wishful thinking, so truck is on hold for now until i can get one and at the moment looks like toyota is the only place i can get one, at £56, bloody nightmare

Comment

I think RT do that ABS toothed ring , I remember buying it when I did the leaky rear hub. Worth a check

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X