Auto gearbox change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto gearbox change

So the new year is not started well, job I've been putting off for 3 weeks but need the truck, have started to take bits off to get gearbox out ( Bloody freezing though ), as I'm outside on the flooring has taken 4 hrs to get the Props, exhaust down pipe, anti roll bar off, bolts either snapped, rounded off and rusted in and FT tight, any tips now that lot is out of way, looks a bit close to front diff for dropping down so assume once all the bolt are out of flex plate you can move back a couple of inches then drop gearbox down, have a motor bike lift to assist get gearbox out, anybody that has done this job got any tips, apart from get somebody else to do it !!

Sorry to jump on your post but I'm doing the same job on mine soon as I can find a gearbox for it. Don't suppose you know where to get one from do you? Mines a kzn185 3.0 auto

Thanks.

Comment

Ebay

Hi, got mine from ebay, guy who breaks them up north, expect to pay around £200 ish, his ebay name is http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/maisey4quads, its a tough job, on the floor at this time of year, all exhaust bolts seized, the prop bolts are FT tight be carful not to round off, my nearside antiroll bar bolts snapped off, spent yesterday drilling and tapping out, just spray every thing a lot and work bolts back and forth and don't rush

Comment

Gearbox in

Well gearbox finally in, its a tough job outside on the floor but doable, so things I encountered, anti-roll bar bolts snapping off, exhaust pipe to turbo bolts rounding off, the prop bolts were extremely tight, so make sure you use good opened spanners or bolts will round off, make sure you take out the Hi-Low gear leaver pull up rubber gator and remove circlip, take cooling fan off, torque convertor bolts are difficult you will need a flexhead socket spanner 22m socket on long knuckle bar to turn engine bottom pulley, you will need 2 jacks and a couple of peices of 10x2 wood for putting under sump of gearbox so jack does not dent it, all the bell housing bolts are getable once you lower back of gearbox down, the gearbox is a tight fit over the front Diff.
        if your fitting a secondhand gearbox I would advise once in to drop the sump and thoroughly clean out and wash filter, then fill with fresh ATF run for a day then carry out an ATF flush.
        Ive been very lucky so far everything works and drives great.
        drop me a line if you want anymore info

Comment

Originally posted by wizwilson View Post
          Well gearbox finally in, its a tough job outside on the floor but doable, so things I encountered, anti-roll bar bolts snapping off, exhaust pipe to turbo bolts rounding off, the prop bolts were extremely tight, so make sure you use good opened spanners or bolts will round off, make sure you take out the Hi-Low gear leaver pull up rubber gator and remove circlip, take cooling fan off, torque convertor bolts are difficult you will need a flexhead socket spanner 22m socket on long knuckle bar to turn engine bottom pulley, you will need 2 jacks and a couple of peices of 10x2 wood for putting under sump of gearbox so jack does not dent it, all the bell housing bolts are getable once you lower back of gearbox down, the gearbox is a tight fit over the front Diff.
          if your fitting a secondhand gearbox I would advise once in to drop the sump and thoroughly clean out and wash filter, then fill with fresh ATF run for a day then carry out an ATF flush.
          Ive been very lucky so far everything works and drives great.
          drop me a line if you want anymore info
          Well done to you, that is a job most of us would not even dream of tackling.

Comment

Nice one sounds like a summer job.
            GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
            X