4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheel drive

What is the easiest way for me to test if my 4 wheel drive is engaging thanks

i would try putting it in
    four wheel drive
    an drive on some mud
    the old git

Comment

Tried it today , looks like its not engaging in 4 WD

Comment

r u using the stick or the button
        the old git

Comment

Its a 1996 3rd gen surf , I just put the small lever into 4wd , the button on the side of the lever I have always had it pressed in , am I doing something wrong

Comment

If the button is pressed in you should be in 4wd and all 4 wheels should be solid green on the indicator. You can drive on tarmac all day with this if you want. If you pull the lever back into 4wd you should have the 4 solid greens plus the centre diff indicator lit up. This locks the centre diff and is only good for the slippy stuff or for a brief period in a dead straight line. Ive assumed for the purpose of the post that you have multi mode 4wd, a few early 3rd gens did not.
            Сви можемо

Comment

Not sure , the problem I have is constant 4wd flashing lights on my dash that's why its hard to tell what's working or not , not sure about multi 4x4 how can I tell

Comment

Multi mode has the indicator lights between the tacho and speedo all the lights should be solid green if in 4wd if they are flashing it isn't in 4WD
                Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Yes I have multi mode, my problem is the constant flashing 4x4 lights on the dash , no matter what gear I put it in or what button I press I just can't get the lights to stop flashing , need further investigation , not sure what's going on , surf drives very well just no 4wd frustrating

Comment

you dont need the small stick to put it in 4 wheel drive
                    that should be in 2wheel drive and as you drive along
                    not too fast mind press the button on the stick keep driving
                    but not fast it will change into 4 wheel the lights will flash until it locks in
                    maybe a few yards maybe couple hundred yards they all differant
                    and you can then use on the road in bad weather ie snow or ice
                    you get that up there press the button again and it will come out of 4 and
                    lights go out may take as long to go out
                    you only use the stick if you are going off road or real bad snow
                    the old git

Comment

Thanks for reply , but been driving with button pressed in all the time and it hasn't made any difference , with the small gear stick in 2h , its a auto and I notice there is also a 2 and a L , when would these gears get used have they got anything to do with 4wd

Comment

might sound daft but

you not using the over drive button r u
                        the old git

Comment

I have just checked and it looks like it is on , been driving with it on all the time , when I press the button it says od off on my dash , am I supposed to drive with od off

Comment

no overdrive on all the time
                            what i meant was had you mistaken the buttons
                            the button for the 4 wheel drive is on the small stick
                            i wont be on again till tomoz so if i can help
                            anymore it will be then
                            the old git

Comment

Yes I drive with the button on the small leaver pressed in all the time , will have to keep testing it , I just think it must be something else , would like to get it to tony but he is 500 miles from me one way , I don't think it needs much to sort it

Comment

Working...
                              X