3rd gen coolant change and all that stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen coolant change and all that stuff

I've just spent the last hour selectively reading the 20 pages of posts on coolant change.
    The reason being because I've just changed the coolant after a flush and suddenly the engine reaches running temperature in less than two miles.

I ran two bottles of Bardahl coolant system flush through the system and ran it for longer than the 15 minutes the instructions advise. After the probably 25 mins I took it out for a mile and a half drive. God it's hot with the heater on in this weather!

Anyway, when it came to empty it, the bottom hose was still cool even though I'd put a few miles on it already getting to the workshop before removing a litre of coolant and putting the flush in.

Sod it I thought.
    So I undid the top hose, bottom hose, bulkhead hoses and got the system empty. It takes bloody ages! That'll be because I didn't remove the thermostat...
    No crunchy hoses, no cloudy coolant, the two owners before me loved this truck and it shows.
    Last coolant change was two years ago.

I ran fresh water through everywhere. About 50 litres I reckon.

Then I let it drain. Seriously, it took over an hour to stop slowly running out. Presumably because the 'stat was still in there.

When it had finished draining, I flushed everything through again with distilled water. Good job it's a Sunday and the wife hates me already for working 7 days a week! It took bloody ages again!

Put the top and bottom hoses back on and put 5 litres of concentrated Toyota red coolant in and topped up with distilled water until it started running out of the heater hoses. Reconnected the heater hoses, topped up, turned the truck around (it was facing downhill for the drain) and topped the rad up.

Then took it out for a very short drive to a mate's house because he had blown his house electrics while replacing an oven door catch. He's like that, don't let him loose on anything that requires hands...

What surprised me, other than how easy it is to break a hotpoint oven, is that the truck reaches temperature in about a mile. I even pulled over thinking I'd totally ducked something up but currently, everything seems fine.

I'm not saying that I haven't ducked it up, (watch this space), I'm just saying that changing the coolant needn't be such a daunting thing for Surf owners to do, as it seems to be reading the threads. Methodical working with concentration should work for anyone, especially after reading Tony N's thread on servicing.

So, if you want to change the coolant on what seems to be an engine very sensitive to sudden temperature fluctuations, read Tony N's post on servicing and go for it.

When you pass me broken down with an overheating engine, flick the v's at me please guys!

Ps please don't think I'm not shitting myself!
    Last edited by Triv; 17 July 2016, 17:50.

probably an air lock in the system somewhere from sounds of it

Comment

Yeah thanks. Just what I was hoping for!

I tend to agree.

Where do airlocks hide? I've let it warm up and cool down and it took less than 100ml of water.
      I'm quite happy to do it all again.
      It took 8 litres with the rear heater looped out of the system and the expansion bottle is to the full mark.

Comment

A quick tip, remove Rad cap be for ya go to bed ... Check level n top up if needed.
        Put rad cap on drivers seat n go to bed (leaving overnight with no rad cap on)
        Before ya drive off in the morning remove the rad cap from drivers seat n proceed to check rad level ..... Hope all is good fingers xxx'd
        Good Luck

15+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ..
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Well, whatever it was if it was anything at all, it doesn't seem to be an issue now.
          In the 20 min drive to work it took 2.5km to warm up. Coolant levels were still the same, heater works, everything seems hunkydory.
          Famous last words!

Comment

To bleed the system, pop off the heater hose at the top of the engine (on the firewall) during filling.
            Also did you end up removing the thermostat? Because all the flushed crap can end up behind it.

Comment

Working...
            X