Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating on ssrg

Hi,

My Surf has started overheating on gentle driving causing the coolant to blow out of the expansion tank. have removed radiator blown clean and flushed still overheated. removed thermostat which turned out to be stuck; i presume closed as its saturday I couldn't get another today so removed the workings of thermostat and refitted. still overheats. also put expansion hose in a bottle of water and get bubble every few seconds. Is it likely to be head and gasket? There is NO white smoke out of the exhaust though any ideas?

suggestions please :-)

Do you loose coolant and gain engine oil?

Take the engine oil filler cap off, does it have milky gunk inside?
    Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

No the oil is fine and the water in the rad didn't have any oil in either. The rad cap is tired but that wouldn't cause overheating and pressurisation of coolant system. Would it?

Comment

If your radiator cap is not working as it should then more coolant than normal will be lost. If the cooling system is not under the correct pressure then it will tend to cause overheating. Also removing thermostst can cause overheating. replace the radiator cap and thermostat first up and then see what happens.

Nev.

Comment

Ok sounds hopeful will get bits tomorrow and see what happens thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            If your radiator cap is not working as it should then more coolant than normal will be lost. If the cooling system is not under the correct pressure then it will tend to cause overheating. Also removing thermostst can cause overheating. replace the radiator cap and thermostat first up and then see what happens.

Nev.
            ^^ What he said
            Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

I suspect I had a thermostat failure, which I believe has lead to a suspected cracked head. Shopping list currently being compiled!

I'm researching the heck out of it today and there seems to be a 'High Flow' thermostat available which opens at 71 deg C and not the standard 82/88 (?).

It's insanely hot where I am so would definitely prefer cooler summer running time than faster normal operating temp in winter.

Part number seems to be 90916-03121. Also found Tridon on fleabay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIDON-HIG...0AAOxy88lRYpAc

Don't know if anyone has experience in fitting this type of thermo, but would be interested to hear opinions on it too.

Also found this nifty rad cap too; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512538909...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Originally posted by the silver surfer View Post
                I'm researching the heck out of it today and there seems to be a 'High Flow' thermostat available which opens at 71 deg C and not the standard 82/88 (?).
                Standard is 82/95 There's three available.

90916 - 03118 82-95

90916 - 03119 76-90

90916 - 03121 71-90

I think quite a few Aussie Surf owners use the 71/90 and believe that the Australia delivered 1KZ-TE engines have these fitted as standard.

Nev.

Comment

Regards motor overheating have replaced thermo( checked it worked) and rad cap. Still overheating but with less coolant loss. Any chance impeller in water pump could be dead. The water in rad was fairly rusty when first drained; doubt ever been out, certainly not since I've had it 10 years or so. Or should I just take it to a mechanic cheers for the help

Comment

As it sounds like your head hasn't gone yet I reckon getting your water pump and thermo replaced. Flushed system plus fresh coolant may well sort it for you. Hopefully you'll be lucky and catch it before the head goes, like mine probably has

Avoid driving until you get at least those bits done, that's my opinion, others may or may not agree.

Comment

Hi there, I had this problem a while back and like you, went through everything. New pump, overhauled viscous fan (needed oil in it) thermostat, rad cap, system flush (twice!) etc. Finally, my rad developed a couple of minute leaks along the top seams so I thought I may as well change that ~ everything else had been done/checked/replaced. New one from Roughtrax ordered, couple of hours to remove and re-fit new....problem solved

BTW there was nothing wrong with the pump, stat or cap in the end.

All told I probably spent twice as much on everything else as I just assumed the rad was working ok, wish I had replaced it first and saved all the grief and time/effort spent on the old girl. On a positive note, I can now get the viscous fan out, open it up and top up oil and replace in about an hour. I was convinced it was lack of airflow, even had the fan out 4 or 5 times to check it. Was almost going to fit a Kenlowe fan when rad started leaking so saved myself money and time on what would have been another wasted effort.

Good luck with yours anyway.
                      Started wi' nowt and still got most of it left!

Comment

Having just had a full head replacement I put a 78deg thermo in and I can confirm, the engine does run cooler than it used to. With the original in the normal operating temp was for the needle to be at '9 o'clock', now it's sitting happily at 8. For me, where the 'in-sun' temp can be 140deg F, I am happy with the cooler running.

Comment

Working...
                        X