yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should ATF be changed on a KZN130?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should ATF be changed on a KZN130?

How often should ATF be changed on a KZN130. Existing fluid looks clean and has no odour to it,probably changed 60,000 miles ago----ATF Hot warning light came on whilst climbing a steep section of the M62 whilst pulling the best part of 2 tons(maybe a bit more) in mid winter---so down with the windows and heater on full blast till the light went out and the same thing happened on the way back but not for as long as the trailer was empty and the climb was not as severe in that direction----not done it since. I take it that the filters are in the sump and a decent quality ATF will suffice? Any other points I should be aware of before embarking on sump off?

Changing it all is a bit of a faff as the bulk of it is held up in the torque convertor. To keep mine fresh I drain the ATF sump at every service, and top up by the same amount ( 4.5 litres ) If you are concerned you've cooked it you can do this a few times over the next few months and you'll have changed most by dilution.
    Id be more worried now about my cylinder head than my ATF. Must have been a bit hot all round.
    Last edited by Bogus; 11 April 2016, 14:10. Reason: speeling
    Сви можемо

Comment

KZN130 ATF change.

No problem with engine temperature---has always remained constant. What about filters in the sump?

Comment

I believe there is a kind of screen mesh thing,in the sump, but Ive never bothered with it, Im happy that my ATF is red and shiny. I might think about getting the sump off for a look if it was burnt and cloudy looking, but don't fancy the hassle that goes with getting all the little bolts out and then sealing it all again. Out of interest, were you towing with OD on or off. Supposed to be off for towing.
        Сви можемо

Comment

KZN130 ATF change.

I was towing with overdrive on----had I thought about it,I would have switched it off.

Comment

If in doubt do a Rodney flush. Take off the pipe that goes back into the box from the cooler and stick it in a bucket. Turn the engine on and let it pump through. Put in 2l for ever 2 you take out and move the stick through the gears a few times as you go. You will get 12-14l out depending how far you want to rince the remainder through. buy 15l.

Done it on a stinky nasty mess and it works well. No other way to swap it all out without taking off the gearbox

Comment

KZN130 ATF change.

Thank you all--- for the info. So I take it that there is no real filtration system once the sump has been removed to be cleaned out other than a bit of a mesh? I have recently done a 16 year old golf with 65k on the clock and that had filters that were meant to be taken off and cleaned every 60/70k when fluid was due for changing.

Comment

Viscous Fan oil may be old i know that section well up the hill from rochdale towards halifax, Dont floor it like a car just let the surf go at its own pace you will lose speed going up there stay in the left hand lane and take it easy.
                I used to pull my Twin axle Abbey Spectrum caravan upto Pickering in Yorkshire quite alot
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

KZN130 ATF change.

Never flog it when towing---no need to,it has plenty of grunt to climb those hills at 50mph with a trailer behind, without breaking into a sweat. Never tow on the flat at much over 50 either,had too many occasions in the past when trailers have fishtailed on me(try towing a Jag on a full size car trailer behind a Marina pick-up for Banger Racing)!

Comment

Working...
                  X