No announcement yet.

After fitting the new cylinder head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After fitting the new cylinder head....

This thread refers to the first part of my problem, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84171 .

The cylinder head was replaced, plus timing belt, water pump, etc.
    My new problem is the issue of black smoke and I am losing oil.
    I have put a sheet under the engine for a couple of nights and no oil appears to be leaking, so I assume I am burning it, hence the black smoke.
    This is more evident upon starting and accelerating.
    Interestingly, my Surf has never run this smoothly for a long time.
    Although it is lumpy for the first minute, then runs sweet.

The garage are suggesting that as I did run the vehicle (for a short time) with a high temperature, I could have damaged the piston rings (softened ?), this would result in oil being burned and the black smoke.
    Is it just rings, or could the piston heads be damaged ?
    Its all a bit speculative at the moment and I don't have a lot of confidence in the garage.

As you will appreciate I have spent a lot of money lately and am keen to get it over in one last hit.
    Taking into account the circumstances, is there anything else that could be causing the black smoke and should be considered ?

Originally posted by Cranfield View Post
    This thread refers to the first part of my problem, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84171 .

The cylinder head was replaced, plus timing belt, water pump, etc.
    My new problem is the issue of black smoke and I am losing oil.
    I have put a sheet under the engine for a couple of nights and no oil appears to be leaking, so I assume I am burning it, hence the black smoke.
    This is more evident upon starting and accelerating.
    Interestingly, my Surf has never run this smoothly for a long time.
    Although it is lumpy for the first minute, then runs sweet.

The garage are suggesting that as I did run the vehicle (for a short time) with a high temperature, I could have damaged the piston rings (softened ?), this would result in oil being burned and the black smoke.
    Is it just rings, or could the piston heads be damaged ?
    Its all a bit speculative at the moment and I don't have a lot of confidence in the garage.

As you will appreciate I have spent a lot of money lately and am keen to get it over in one last hit.
    Taking into account the circumstances, is there anything else that could be causing the black smoke and should be considered ?
    Black smoke is normally un burnt fuel, oil is a bluey color. Have you check to make sure the oil filter is on tight? how much oil are you losing?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

The oil was at the Full marker when I got the vehicle back and I doubt I did 150 miles before I checked it yesterday morning and it showed just over half on the dipstick.
      I have topped it up again and made a note of the mileage , I will check it again at 200 miles.

I will also check the oil filter.

I didn't realise that unburnt fuel made black smoke. that is even more confusing as to what the cause could be.

Comment

When unknown to me my glow plugs were not working, with the engine turning over loads of white smoke came from the exhaust which was un-burnt fuel.As soon as new plugs were fitted the exhaust gases were clear. I thought black smoke was over fueling ie running rich, or something to do with the erg. Agree with blue smoke equals burning oil.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
          New glow plugs were fitted with the main job.

Comment

Black smoke is overfueling. Check/replace the ECU Coolant Temperature Sensor as it may have been damaged due to overheating.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
            X