black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black smoke

Hi,I am newbie and new to Surfs having just bought my first,a 1996 3.0l 185.On the vfirst start of the day it belches out black smoke (you would almost think I was burning nutty slack) the after about a minute it all eases down and runs clean.Running during the day all other starts are are good and clean.The engine always starts first turn of the key.My problem is I am out in Bulgaria and seem to be hitting a bit of a brick wall with the local "mechanics".Personally I am thinking along the lines of a dribbling injector.Has anyone else had this problem or could point me in the right direction to cure it? I love the Surf it is a great vehicle to drive and will come into its own when winter finally gets here,it is very mild at the moment.Thank you for reading and for any help you may be able to provide,Tom.

Black smoke is unburnt diesel, so it's fuelling-related.

Could be injectors, timing out, not enough air (making the mixture too rich). Air loss could be the turbo failing to push or pipe holed/kinked.

I am not a mechnanic but IIRC, they are the common ones.
    Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

black smoke

Thanks Jimster,I am thinking more on the lines of injector as I only get the smoke on the first cold start of the day after being stood all night.They will be pulled and tested first week in January,hopefully that will find the problem.Fingers crossed as it is a fairly cheap repair,Tm.

Comment

Working...
      X