atf sump drain quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atf sump drain quantity

Hello all, apologies for the question as I am sure it has been asked before (I have searched the forum maybe I have missed something). I drained the Automatic gearbox oil this morning and measured approx 4.5 litres (drained from the sump plug) is this correct? as roughtrax spec show only 2.2 litres on a drain and fill only. I have since replenished with 4.5 litres of new atf, I have taken the truck for a 10 mile drive and with the engine running (cycled through gears and selected 'P') the fluid level is bang on the top level of the hot mark.
    I just don't understand how I've managed to drain almost twice the amount of fluid specified. Any info would be much appreciated, I forgot to mention the the truck is a 1996 3rd generation KZN185.

Originally posted by karl higgs View Post
    Hello all, apologies for the question as I am sure it has been asked before (I have searched the forum maybe I have missed something). I drained the Automatic gearbox oil this morning and measured approx 4.5 litres (drained from the sump plug) is this correct? as roughtrax spec show only 2.2 litres on a drain and fill only. I have since replenished with 4.5 litres of new atf, I have taken the truck for a 10 mile drive and with the engine running (cycled through gears and selected 'P') the fluid level is bang on the top level of the hot mark.
    I just don't understand how I've managed to drain almost twice the amount of fluid specified. Any info would be much appreciated, I forgot to mention the the truck is a 1996 3rd generation KZN185.
    4.5 is correct.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      4.5 is correct.
      Hi Bogus, many thanks and apologies for the delayed reply, just one quick question how many miles do you have to travel in order to find the correct 'hot' dipstick level? I travelled approx 8 mile with engine up to operating temperature, I checked the level and had to top up to between the 'Hot' marks, however after a recent 50 mile run I checked the oil again and now it is way over the marks.

Comment

i dont think the miles are relevant, as long as the truck is up to operating temp. What is important is that prior to checking you cycle through all of the gears and check with the engine running
        Last edited by Bogus; 8 January 2016, 14:51.
        Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
        X