3rd and 4th Gear Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd and 4th Gear Problems

Help from you experts would be greatly appreciated. My 94 4runner which I have owned for 8 years has performed perfectly taking me to the Russian Far East last year and Georgia this year. It has done 194k but now seems to occasionally not want to stay in 3rd or 4th gear when you drop the clutch. It occasionally does it on 2nd but never in 5th. Mountings seem ok. Could a gear stick re bush solve the problem or does it sound more serious ? Any comments please.

Boycie

Gearbox

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
    Help from you experts would be greatly appreciated. My 94 4runner which I have owned for 8 years has performed perfectly taking me to the Russian Far East last year and Georgia this year. It has done 194k but now seems to occasionally not want to stay in 3rd or 4th gear when you drop the clutch. It occasionally does it on 2nd but never in 5th. Mountings seem ok. Could a gear stick re bush solve the problem or does it sound more serious ? Any comments please.

Boycie
    I had same problem and it was the gear stick bush. Quick and easy fit and cheapest gearbox repair you can do in 15 mins!

Comment

Many thanks, have ordered parts from Milners and will see what the outcome is.

Boycie

Comment

marlin has the heavy duty seat and bush.
        remember to replace both.

Comment

Gearbox

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
          marlin has the heavy duty seat and bush.
          remember to replace both.
          If the original seat has lasted 20 years then I don't think the overpriced Marlin product is called for.

Comment

the price is not really an issue.

its a very common fault that gets ignored. it doesn't last 20 years, it probably failed 10-15 years ago and has been running on all the broken bits since then and people put up with the slightly wonky shifting until the broken bits finally crumble.
            downside is that in the partly failed state it can cause other gearbox parts to wear. don't be to surprised if there is still other issues. hopefully not worn enough that its a big issue.

we had one that required a complete gearbox overhaul, all because of that seat failed years ago and the driver put up with it.

Comment

Why do people call a part that is worn out a fault? It's not faulty just because it wears.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
                If the original seat has lasted 20 years then I don't think the overpriced Marlin product is called for.
                Me either. Nothing wrong with the original and wouldn't be suprised if the "heavy duty" didn't last any longer.

Nev.

Comment

Have fitted the bush and re assembled. 3rd seems fine but 4th is worse. I did not replace the seat just the nylon bush as Milners didn't stock the seat. I did get a a new box that the top ball of the gear stick fits in but didn't replace that as I didn't know how to get the breather out. Finding difficulty getting on Marlin web page.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    Why do people call a part that is worn out a fault? It's not faulty just because it wears.

Nev.
                    the seat doesn't wear, it falls to bits. don't know if its material/age related or what. mine worked fine, only looked at replacing it due to chasing another fault. it came out in about 100 bits.

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
                    Have fitted the bush and re assembled. 3rd seems fine but 4th is worse. I did not replace the seat just the nylon bush as Milners didn't stock the seat. I did get a a new box that the top ball of the gear stick fits in but didn't replace that as I didn't know how to get the breather out. Finding difficulty getting on Marlin web page.
                    the seat is the main thing to replace.
                    not sure if the new box (which you don't need to replace) has a new seat in it.
                    by memory breather is pressed in, there is a write up on fitting remote breathers around somewhere.

Comment

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...avy-duty-seats

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50929

Comment

I have now replaced the bush that sits under the spring and as stated was in dozens of pieces. Re assembled and my gearbox is like new.

Regarding the breather, I tried a few gentle taps but nothing moved and was reluctant to be more brutal with it being alloy.

Anyway thanks to all for you help and comments I am a much relieved the repair turned out relatively painless.

Comment

Working...
                        X