Cracked head, it's never the gasket, always the head I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
      Cracked head, it's never the gasket, always the head I'm afraid
      I,ll second that. Its always the head.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Thought that would be the concensus

Thanks guys, I thought that would be the concensus, but I lived in hope for a short while. I will order the head from RT tomorrow and start on it on Friday so that I have the weekend to get it done.

I will buy the Head kit and the Aisin water pump from RT, but where can I get the extra gaskets that guys on here have said aren't included, RT don't list them anywhere on their website, is it a trip to Toyota main dealer or make some up from gasket paper (been a while since I;ve done that ).

Comment

I bought a full gasket kit from RT, came with everything I needed. Unless they've changed there supplier. Might be worth giving them a call first

Comment

Premium head and water pump is on the way from RT arrives here tomorrow together with a manual but is there a step by step guide on this forum for removing and refitting the head, any little gotchas?

Last engine I rebuilt was a couple of years ago on an old Massey Ferguson 690 tractor with a Perkins A4.248 which was a very basic engine.

Cheers all
            Last edited by Tony Kingston; 17 September 2015, 16:48.

Comment

It's fairly straight forward, I have a thread from when I did mine on here, can't post a link though as my battery is about to die. Search under ny name and you should be able to find it, I removed the engine to do it due to having to replace the block as well. You don't need to take the engine out though

Comment

Hi Rebel
                Found your post, very useful thanks, also found my engine handbook, in a box in the loft, it had been "tidied up".
                Anyway head is off and each cylinder has an associated crack, will post the pictures tomorrow.

New head, water pump and associated bits all arrived late this afternoon so will be refitting tomorrow. That EGR and water pipe set up is a pain in the arse isn't it. So took the head off with the manifolds still attached, will reassemble that way to refit.

Got a feeling that I will need all the photos I took to reconnect all of those little rubber pipes.

Cheers

Comment

Some photo's of my cracked head. Should finish putting it all back together tomorrow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Kingston View Post
                    Some photo's of my cracked head. Should finish putting it all back together tomorrow.
                    Tony can you post a link of the how to do because I'll probably be doing my next weekend and can't find it cheers mate
                    GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Back on the road

All done and back on the road sounding better and probably with a bit more power.

About 18 hours work altogether, possibly took a bit longer than others on here because I hadn't done a head change on a Surf before.

All in all a pretty straight forward job, just don't forget to take all the studs and other bits and pieces off your old head including the half round filler piece at the back of the head ( I didn't and it cost me another hour and a half and some nice new oil).

Thanks for all the info and advice on here.

Comment

Glad my thread was useful and that you're back on the road again. You're right about the EGR valve, I removed mine and blanked it all off as you don't need them on a surf in the UK

Comment

Hi Marc I used the following which was useful too

Hilux Surf Forum > HILUX SURF FORUMS - GENERAL INTEREST/CHITCHAT > The Sticky Threads
                          1kzt-e Timing And Head Bolt Torque Page

Hilux Surf Forum > HILUX SURF FORUMS - TECHNICAL > 2.4 & 2.8
                          Engine Removal

I will be around most of next weekend so if you do have any problems, message me and I will try to help while the memory is fresh
                          Last edited by Tony Kingston; 22 September 2015, 16:25.

Comment

some photos that might help
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Tony nice one the drawings will help,hope i get time to start it this weekend
                              GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X