Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the original rad?

1996 3rd Gen Auto diesel.

Is there a way to tell if I still have the original rad or if it has been replaced during the life of my Surf?
    It has a plastic top tank with >PA66-GF25< etched on it. Fins are painted black, not silvery aluminium colour. Any 3rd Gen owner with the same rad?

I have some long trips (20000 kms in 6 weeks type of thing) planned for the next couple of years and I'm debating whether I should invest in a new Toyota rad.

I have read a lot about the auto rad in 3rd Gens, how the membrane separating the atf cooler chamber from the coolant can corrode and lead to the milkshake.

The truck has 158K Km on the clock, but original mileage probably higher.

Cheers

if i was going to do that amount of kms i would get one, and keep it nearby just in case
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Thanks Bud!

Yes, that's true.

If I get one then I will fit it, I think if the milkshake happened it would probably do some damage to the autobox?

Do you think it's still the original rad?

Cheers

Comment

i dont know if that is the original rad, due i don't have any experience on 3gen.
        the nearest i had being one is being driven in a lovely black one, that i even didn't see under the bonnet

Comment

it would be helpful if you put some pics up for the ones that know

Comment

Sure, I will do that.

I was hoping some of the 3rd Gen owners here might recognise the writing on the top tank.

Cheers

Comment

Some pics.
              Just wondering if it is the original Rad.

Cheers
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, same markings as my 3rd gen. 1996/7. So possible???

Comment

Very possible...it looks original to me. Just wondering if almost 20 years on it might be time to replace it??

Thanks Chef

Comment

Probably! It's on my list of things to do, problem is other bits keep going before I get round to it!

Comment

Working...
                    X