yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAM-Belt Tensioner Bolt has sheared off!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAM-Belt Tensioner Bolt has sheared off!! Help!

Hi,
    This is the 2nd time I have replaced the cambelt and using the instructions on this site, the job has been straight forward and I did not have any problems last time. i thought it would be the same today!

But when I came to replace the Tensioner a bolt sheared off level with the back casing, so there is nothing to get hold off to remove it.

Im trying to find out if the bolt can be extracted without having to strip the whole car down, as there is not much room especially as it is the lower bolt that has sheared!! And if anyone can give me advice on how to do it without ruining the thread in the cambelt casing or causing any problems behind the casing.

Thanks for reading

Cara
    You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Is it possible to post a pic ?

Might help ref a solution

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I dont have a pic sorry.

And for reference the Tensioner and pulley are off and therefore out of the way.
      The bolt is totally sheared off level with the cambelt casing. There is nothing to get hold off and the area it is in is too tight to get a drill in there.

Any advice about removing a sheared off bolt in a confined space would be great.

And if it cant be removed any advice on how to get better access or if you can remove the cambelt back casing to be able to drill it out on the workbench - I just dont know where to go with this and need the car back for the weekend!!!

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71097

Do these pics help.

Anyone have an opinion ?

Comment

If you remove radiator, fan etc can you gain enough room for a drill, easyouts

Maybe a 3lit owner can advise

Comment

Do you have access enough to get a small punch and a hammer in?
            Could try tapping it round gently that way...

Comment

Thanks for replying. There isnt enough room to swing a hammer to get enough power behind it and its so far down you cant be sure to be square onto it.

I was hoping there would be some tool that would get into a confined space to do the job.
              It looks like I might have to take off the fan and radiator which I really dont want to have to do

Comment

bite the bullit only way is
                take out rad and fan
                drill centre of blot
                use a left hand thread stud/bolt extractor
                you can get a set on flea bay for a few quid
                if you use small drill you can get away with not takeing air con rad off
                the old git

Comment

Update:-

I have today removed the radiator. I can get a drill down level with the hole now but have no room to work still and it is all becoming too much of a risk in such a confined area!! I decided that the best thing was to remove the bottom half of the cambelt assembly back plate so that I can deal with the sheared bolt out of the car, probably will take it to a local engineering company ......

So I removed the bottom Pulley and started removing bolts from the plate and as I rubbed dirt off to see the edge of the plate I can see that it goes behind the power steering pump.
                  Does anyone know
                  1, If there are any particular things to consider when removing this pump, ie fluid leaks?, new gaskets needed? etc and
                  2. if there would be anything else that would have to be removed to get the plate out of the car

I dont want to remove anything without knowing that it will definitely go back on, without issue.

Thank you
                  Cara

Comment

PAS pump from a 2.4, nothing scary to worry about.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that
                      Mine is a 3.0L - engine KZN 185, and looks a bit different, but presumably by your pic it can be removed in the same manner as one piece, undoing the bolts and no new seals etc are needed?

I have been searching the forums for pictures of the 3.0L PAS pump and / or the cambelt casing backplate, to help me. If anyone has seen any please post the link, thanks

Comment

I couldn't find a pic either in my collection...but unlikley to be anything that needs replacing for a PAS pump.

If I find something I'll post it here.

Some clues...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ytlaMdTzGw

He's moding it for another engine, but you can see what it looks like.
                        Last edited by andyverran; 1 May 2015, 21:16.

Comment

Thanks for that and will carry on looking into it

Comment

Working...
                          X