Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing air conditioning

hi everyone,
    so when air con is switched on I get a squealing noise that comes and goes. more often than not it squeals. is that the pump or could it be a bearing? I'm not too bothered, if it's an expensive repair, because I don't use the air con very often anyway but if it's a fairly easy fix I'll do it.

anyone else had this issue??

I can't complain really, this is the first issue I've had on this surf that wasn't of my own doing!!!

thanks in advance

Is it a belt squeal ?

The gas also has lubrication added. A recharge may be required.

Or remove,sell on e/bay or throw in bin

Comment

form your description, it is most likely the air con clutch bearing or slipping belt, as you state that it only occurs when the air con is switched on.

check the belt for tension and if this is OK, then you need to look at the air con clutch or tensioner bearings.

Comment

it could be the air gap between the pulley and the drive plate, the gap between the two should be about 0.5m/m. The gap can normally be adjusted by removing a shim from the drive shaft.

Comment

Never used/needed Aircon in 13+ Years, simple fix remove belt ...

13+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

excellent, thank you everyone! there's a few theories to try out this weekend then.

I'd remove it completely but if I ever came to sell it I think I'd want it in and, if possible, working! i use it for work as well as play.

Comment

If you can post a vid that would be best.

Trying to second guess noises that no one has heard can be quite difficult.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi mate

mine does the same ...its the belt slipping and when it gets warm the squeal stops

Comment

my aircon belt was far too slack, like an inch of play and it squealed

Comment

mine squealed too until I tightened the belt.

Comment

could just be the idle/tensioner pulley. When mine gave up it started like a squealing belt then one day a nice burning smell. The pulley had seized, then the rubber belt just got hot and melted.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

+1 for "Sounds like a slightly loose pulley."
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Mine also had a bit of a squeal a few days ago, checked the belt as lots have suggested on this thread and it had loads of play in it. Tightened the adjuster a bit and all is now well. Gave the pulley spindle a jab of maintenance spray too just for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                          X