Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck holding onto gears

Evening all,

It seems, when my truck is cold, when it is going through the gears when it is changing there is a pause, like for half a second where it stops accelerating, levels out then changes and accelerates. It seems to do this when cold. Is this normal? I checked my level today on gearbox and was a tad high so drained about 1/4 litre out. Which seemed to get the level correct.

Is it just like that because the fluid is cold in the gearbox?

Before it was very sharp and instant with the change

Ive reset the ecu and will see what that does in the morning but just want to avoid making anything worse. Should i swap ecu's..? I have a spare

Gearbox oil new a few months back but had to tow my mate in his surf home after he broke down so was worked hard last week! Maybe i should change it again? ( was dark red!)
    Last edited by Jameswallace; 25 March 2015, 23:32.

Not "dark red " when you refilled.

Maybe ran a bit hot when towing m8s two ton Surf.
    Worth changing again see if it improves

Comment

Thanks woodwarm, i suspected as much.

Dumped atf just now was dark red heading to brown and smelt so suspect it got a tad warm. Temp gauge was fine and no atf temp lighy. Strange

Edit and update

Re filled and still doing it. Dumped atf again after 12 mile trip and came out dark and burnt again so going to get some More atf and flush it. I guess it needs a flush now :-(.

Will re fill again later and see how it is.. And maybe dump again in the morning
      Last edited by Jameswallace; 27 March 2015, 12:46.

Comment

Hope you've now solved it

Great to have dump in the morning

Comment

2 atf changes, no better

Will try one more atf change. It came out a bit dark again when i dropped it.

Has anyone else had this ever?

I only flushed the box and cleaned filter a month ago
          Last edited by Jameswallace; 27 March 2015, 18:57.

Comment

Before you throw more atf/money at it,try a search ref

autobox or gearbox sump removal,clean

could be dirt in valve or burnt clutch plates

Comment

Hmm. I only had it off a month or so ago, cleaned the filter, the sump, all the magnets etc, it was absolutly spotless when it went back together. what an expereince that was! Took me ages to remove the exhaust bracket on the bell housing.

If its worn clutch plates.....?

Thanks for your help mr woodwarm

Once its warm it is perfect and gearchanges are faultless.
              Last edited by Jameswallace; 27 March 2015, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
                2 atf changes, no better

Will try one more atf change. It came out a bit dark again when i dropped it.

Has anyone else had this ever?

I only flushed the box and cleaned filter a month ago
                If it's sediment in the valve body and a fluid change didn't sort it you may have to strip and clean the valve body manually...but since that's not trivial be certain every other external thing is ok first.

I've had it on other cars, made for a lack of gear changes and really rough gear changes.

Dark oil could be the oil cooking due to excessive heat build up in the torque converter (High slip between the turbine and the impeller - towing, driving like you stole it, hand brake on etc) or from clutch/brake band material in suspension in the oil.

What did it smell like?

If its worn clutch plates.....?
                Get a second hand gearbox...

Once its warm it is perfect and gearchanges are faultless.
                Implies when the oil and any sediment is hot and runny it changes ok...I'll vote for the valve body needs a clean.
                Last edited by andyverran; 27 March 2015, 21:51.

Comment

Thanks for that that is all great advice.

How do i go about cleaning the valve body out..? And where abouts is it..? What does it look like? (I will start searching for this but advice greatly appreciated. As so far my search found nothing

I assume its a gearbox sump off job. The atf was just smelling a tad 'used' really.

I will start with simple things, going to check all dash connections are ok etc.

Edit Came across this thread which seems very helpful.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...t=47830&page=2

Having now got a feel for whats involved, i think i can manage it!

Is it as 'simple' as clean all the passeges out? Is the gasket a toyota dealers part or re useable?
                  Last edited by Jameswallace; 28 March 2015, 02:53.

Comment

I haven't personally done the Surf...but:

Sump off
                    filter off
                    you'll then be looking at it on most that I have seen...

..I wonder if there is anything in the manual....and there is...

what's your email and I'll ping it over?

Comment

I thought it was that kind of thing involved.

That would be great

Is it not a gearbox out and in the workshop job though? I just dont want things to be dropping out the gearbox at me etc and to go from something tbat irritated me to an unusuablw truck. ..

My biggest concern is things held in by it falling out..

That would be great if you can thank you very much

My email is james(at)jwallace.org.uk many thanks

Comment

Just curious but is the auto box filled properly and the levels checked properly
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I just took the sump off mine and was shocked, after draining it, just how much oil was left in there (500-750ml?) as it tipped all over the drive . Not forgetting all the rest of it in the torque converter you could have to do three or four 'flushes' to actually get the burnt stuff out.

If you take off your sump tell me how much gunk is round your magnets. Mine has done 48k and had some grey gunk (graphite and iron?) and a couple of small shaves of metal to them. Nothing that makes me worried at all but I would be interested in seeing another sump to compare.

I am getting a temp sensor tapped in for the cabin gauge.

Comment

Levels all spot on,

When i cleaned the sump and filter out, there was a lot of crap on all 4 magnets and the sump was very dirty

Oh btw when you release the filter and housing a fair amount comes out then ..

Comment

Working...
                            X