wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing

I am fairly new to the forum and am enjoying it very much.I have 2nd gen deisel 3.0litre and have been to the local garage cos of wheel bearing type droning noise.Went out with one of the mechanics with the windows open and we could hear it and both thought it was from the rear.He said the problem was if they get the truck up on the ramps they wont be able to tell which one it is.He suggested i wait til it gets a bit worse so can tell which one it is.!
    Being a bit green when it comes to mechanical things my questions are as follows.
    Can i diagnose this myself i have a trolley jack and tried lifting the truck up the other day and spinning wheels etc.I think there was more play in the front near side than the other wheels,other wise couldn't hear any difference.
    Was the mechanic too busy and couldn' be bothered with it so fobbed me off.
    Am i risking further damage by leaving it.
    Would be grateful for advice,if the thing was made from bricks and wood i could fix it myself

Originally posted by topbuilder View Post
    I am fairly new to the forum and am enjoying it very much.I have 2nd gen deisel 3.0litre and have been to the local garage cos of wheel bearing type droning noise.Went out with one of the mechanics with the windows open and we could hear it and both thought it was from the rear.He said the problem was if they get the truck up on the ramps they wont be able to tell which one it is.He suggested i wait til it gets a bit worse so can tell which one it is.!
    Being a bit green when it comes to mechanical things my questions are as follows.
    Can i diagnose this myself i have a trolley jack and tried lifting the truck up the other day and spinning wheels etc.I think there was more play in the front near side than the other wheels,other wise couldn't hear any difference.
    Was the mechanic too busy and couldn' be bothered with it so fobbed me off.
    Am i risking further damage by leaving it.
    Would be grateful for advice,if the thing was made from bricks and wood i could fix it myself
    The front hubs use an inner and outer taper roller bearing. These are adjusted by tightening the inner locknut up hand tight with a 54mm box socket then, undo about a flat of the nut.refit tab washer then tighten the outer locknut , then lock over tabs.when right t
    he hub will spin freely with no play when you rock the wheel from top to bottom or side to side.
    The rears are a different story, these are semi floating type hubs and are non adjustable, its a case of remove the half shafts cut the old bearing off and use a press to fit a new one.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 1 February 2015, 20:41.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks Surfenstein,sorry to be a bit basic but do i need to remove brake drum on front to access the outer nut?

Comment

The front will be a disc brake, so no drum to remove. You should be able to access the outer nut once the wheel and dust cover are removed, you'll need to remove the brake disc if your changing the inner and outer bearing. To do this, remove the caliper ( leave it connected to the flexi pipe ) and tie it up so it can hang out of the way, don't stretch the flexi pipe. This will allow the brake disc to be removed giving access to the inner and outer bearing

Comment

Working...
        X