Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump timing.

I did search but didn't really get an answer

Is it as simple as loosen the two 13mm nuts and loosen the bolt in the back and adjust until it makes a detonation sound then move back a bit?

When we put the new pump in we timed it but when it was cold.

If some one could clarify the correct procedure that would be great. Thanks!

The reason i want to adjust the timing is when i had the red light tcv fault the tcv was sticking keeping the pump advanced. Which made it idle beautifully. Whereas with my old tcv valve it idles rough so want to eliminate bad timing before changing the tcv for a new one at nearly £200! Im assuming my tcv is working so the pump isn't advanced enough i guess

Keep in mind that to an extent, the ecu can sense and adjust injection timing in these pumps. You may force it into a situation where it notices that the pump is advanced and tries to retard the timing electronically.. and that this may be your new "default" setting, gaining you nothing in normal driving conditions. the trouble could come when you get into a situation where it really needs to retard the timing.. say if intake or water temps suddenly rise.

For the record, the ecu has everything it needs to adjust the timing valve on the bottom of the pump to actually rotate the cam-plate back inside the pump.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 19 January 2015, 20:41.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Makes perferct sense what youve said

I had a go but couldnt get it to knock so returned it to original positioned as enscribed with tip ex

Im not convinced the timing control valve is working properly as it is has a rough idle when cold, which i know could be a manner of things but having fitted another tcv (which as it turned out was stuck in the advanced position) it ran amazingly well on idle but threw a red light because it wasnt working correctly as it was stuck in the advanced position

Ps have checked everything else so only can be this retched tcv valve. As i sa when swopped with (the as it turns out) dud stuck advanced it idles beautifully

190 delivered for a tcv from merlins diesel
      Last edited by Jameswallace; 19 January 2015, 23:24.

Comment

Just as a side note, you have checked the resistance of the spill control valve and the correction resistors on the side of the pump.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Yup

Changed the spill control valve, and changed the resisters but no better (when i had the red light)

I tested the resisters as per the chart somewhere on this forum and both reasonably in spec.

I havent however tried them since removing the red light by fitting my old tcv but having said that this rough running was the same with the old pump so the only common denominator is the tcv as everything else is different from old pump. Different pump same symptons, but same tcv with both pumps, same symtoms. so has to be that surely?!

Ive replied to merlins saying ill have it.

Comment

Having adjusted the timing, the truck was sluggish so put back to my tip ex mark where it was before. but now the truck turns over longer before starting.

I changed the fuel filter on monday but shouldnt be air present still,,

New glows last year, so could that be timing related?
            My new tcv arrives friday hopefully

Comment

Working...
            X