yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Newbie With 4WD Querstions (Sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Newbie With 4WD Querstions (Sorry)

Hi,
    I have just become the proud owner of a 1994 Surf 3.0TD SSX Limited (or not so Limited as i have read) and have luckily found this site which has provided me with a wealth of information in laymans terms bar one.

I believe mine to be a 2nd gen automatic and has a second lever with H4, N,L on it and a 4wd button. I understand that the button engages 4wd but after reading that you can do some serious damage by fiddling without knowing what you are doing i have not plucked up the courage to use it.

I am going to Somerset on Saturday morning for a Hovercraft meet which takes place at a rather large pond and field. If i do find that i need to engage 4wd for what ever reason my questions are:

1: Should this be done with the engine on or off?
    2: What order should it all be done?
    3: Am i right in understanding that it is best to either use High or Low
    Ratio and not really bother with the other at all?
    4: What should the usual driving (Road / Tarmac) setting be, at the
    moment it is set on L, 4WD button off.

Thank you for reading this and i hope i am not causing people the repeat their posts, i have read the FAQ's but the ones that refer to 4WD don't seem to have the same settings described as on mine.

I would prefer to ask you guys and gals rather than dealers.

Thanks again
    Shelly

Originally posted by Project Hover
    ............. 2nd gen automatic and has a second lever with H4, N,L on it and a 4wd button. ............

Normal driving on Tarmac and hard surfaces is in H without pressing the button.
    Pressing the button in H gives you 4wd in high ratio, good for use on loose surfaces, mud snow, hard sand etc.
    Moving the lever thru N (Neutral) to L will engage 4wd (regardless of button position) and also engage Low ratio, this will give you more pulling power in extreme off-road situations.

You can select/deselect the 4wd button on the move at up to approx 100Kph.
    Selecting L should be done when stationary.

4wd should never be selected on hard surfaces with good traction as damage to the drivetrain can result.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi,
      I have just become the proud owner of a 1994 Surf 3.0TD SSX Limited (or not so Limited as i have read) and have luckily found this site which has provided me with a wealth of information in laymans terms bar one.

I believe mine to be a 2nd gen automatic and has a second lever with H4, N,L on it and a 4wd button. I understand that the button engages 4wd but after reading that you can do some serious damage by fiddling without knowing what you are doing i have not plucked up the courage to use it.

I am going to Somerset on Saturday morning for a Hovercraft meet which takes place at a rather large pond and field. If i do find that i need to engage 4wd for what ever reason my questions are:

Thank you for reading this and i hope i am not causing people the repeat their posts, i have read the FAQ's but the ones that refer to 4WD don't seem to have the same settings described as on mine.

I would prefer to ask you guys and gals rather than dealers.

Thanks again
      Shelly

Generally, on Road/Tarmac you should not use 4wd as you will get what is called 'wind-up' due to stresses with differentials not set up for front/back wheels turning at different speeds.

Usual setting fro tarmac is 4wd off and in D for Drive with High set on other selector.

The L on the second selector is for Low Ratio which gives low down 'grunt/torque/ which helps you to pull or get out of things......

To place the High and LOw ratio selector you need to have the main stick in N for neutral.
      Gaz

Comment

So what you're telling me is that since driving it home and around to get an immobiliser fitted today i have been driving it in 4wd because the second lever is set to L.

I have not noticed anything or felt anything untoward, i hope it is not damaged.

What does the H4 mean then ?(this is what i shall select before driving tomorrow.)

Thanks for your speedy reply, nice to actually get some info from someone who is not just trying to make a sale.

Comment

So what you're telling me is that since driving it home and around to get an immobiliser fitted today i have been driving it in 4wd because the second lever is set to L.

I have not noticed anything or felt anything untoward, i hope it is not damaged.

What does the H4 mean then ?(this is what i shall select before driving tomorrow.)

Thanks for your speedy reply, nice to actually get some info from someone who is not just trying to make a sale.
          H4 is high ratio gearing (normal ratio gears) 2 or 4 wheel drive in this position is determined by button.
          As you've been driving in L (and hence 4wd with low ratio) you will notice an immediate difference in driving when you switch to H, less frequent gear changes, more speed and lighter steering.

Sometimes after using 4wd on tarmac it can be sticky returning to 2wd (4wd light on dash will extinguish when properly in 2wd), if this proves to be the case, try reversing a few feet and/or moving the steering from side to side while moving slowly.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Pressing the button in H gives you 4wd in high ratio, good for use on loose surfaces, mud snow, hard sand etc. Taken from Morr..hope this doesn't have copyright

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              H4 is high ratio gearing (normal ratio gears) 2 or 4 wheel drive in this position is determined by button.
              As you've been driving in L (and hence 4wd with low ratio) you will notice an immediate difference in driving when you switch to H, less frequent gear changes, more speed and lighter steering.

Sometimes after using 4wd on tarmac it can be sticky returning to 2wd (4wd light on dash will extinguish when properly in 2wd), if this proves to be the case, try reversing a few feet and/or moving the steering from side to side while moving slowly.
              Thank you very much, thought it was already pretty powerful, knocked spots off of my old Intercooled Shogun LWB, can't wait to have a go with the correct gearing selected.

Actually i am going out now

Comment

Low ratio, I bet it went like a rocket from pullaway
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

To place the High and LOw ratio selector you need to have the main stick in N for neutral.[/QUOTE]

Do you need to put it back in Drive once selecting H/L or do you drive around in Neutral?!

This thread has confused me even more!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo7
                    To place the High and LOw ratio selector you need to have the main stick in N for neutral.

Do you need to put it back in Drive once selecting H/L or do you drive around in Neutral?!

This thread has confused me even more!!![/QUOTE]

Yep put it back into Drive!!!
                    Gaz

Comment

If you put the small lever into N you won't go anywhere as it acts the same as normal neutral in the gearbox. Found that out when the dealer was doing some warranty work on mine and someone had left it parked in neutral.. Never was sure if they'd been driving it round in 4WD though.
                      Mike G

Comment

Does this apply to 3rd Gen Surf

Hi Maurice

Does your description gear selection apply to 3rd Gen's as well. The reason I ask is that with 4wd without diff on it should not cause wind-up. Is that right or not ???? I have been told that the gearbox on 2nd gen is different from 3rd gen and therefore going into 4wd (without diff on) is ok.

Cheers

Vic.................

Comment

Second Gen Auto.

first pic, high ratio, 4wd button out = 2 wheel drive (normal conditions)

Second pic, high ratio, 4wd button in = 4 wheel drive (mud, snow, gravel ect)

Third pic, low ratio, 4wd button in or out = 4 wheel drive in low ratio (much more extreem off road conditions)

from first pic to second pic at up to 100kph
                          from first pic or second pic to third pic at a stand and with main gearstick in nuetral.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Greebo; 8 December 2004, 15:24.
                          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                            Low ratio, I bet it went like a rocket from pullaway
                            all the way to 10mph!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by TBIRDVIC
                              Hi Maurice

Does your description gear selection apply to 3rd Gen's as well. The reason I ask is that with 4wd without diff on it should not cause wind-up. Is that right or not ???? I have been told that the gearbox on 2nd gen is different from 3rd gen and therefore going into 4wd (without diff on) is ok.

Cheers

Vic.................

You can select 4wd(by pressing the button) in H in a 3rd gen and drive on the roads, but I wouldn't recommend high speeds. The green lights should light up the wheels on the picture on the dash but not the orange spot in the middle (diff).

Any other selection will lock the diff automatically whether you press the 4wd button or not (check orange spot on picture, should be lit) and you can only drive on loose stuff, mud etc. Hopes this helps.

Jacqueline

Comment

Working...
                              X