Off side rear noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off side rear noise.

I do not have a mechanically aware bone in my body and know nothing about the workings of motor vehicles.

I have had an occasional metal on metal grind sound from the off side rear of my Surf for a few weeks.
    Looked under it yesterday and there is a rubber "cap/pad" that seems to have broken off in the area of the suspension/spring.

I would like to have a rough idea of what the problem could be, before I take it to my local garage.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Maybe a bush from the rear shocks? Can u take a pic and post it?
    Cheers

Comment

As said previously Pics would be a great help here.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate that more tech detail, including pics, would help.

It may be hard to believe , but I don't possess a camera.
        I had hoped it was something very obvious, common and cheap to mend.

A supplementary question is, if I have to replace the offside spring, do I have to, or is it recommended, to replace the near side spring as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cranfield View Post
          Thanks for the replies, I appreciate that more tech detail, including pics, would help.

It may be hard to believe , but I don't possess a camera.
          I had hoped it was something very obvious, common and cheap to mend.

A supplementary question is, if I have to replace the offside spring, do I have to, or is it recommended, to replace the near side spring as well ?
          If you park your truck on a flat piece of ground, get a tape measure and measure the arch gaps from the top of the tyre to the bottom of the wheel arch on the rear both o/s and n/s then measure from the ground to under the arch. If you have a broken spring it will be quite obvious, the surfs do suffer with a saggy bottom.To answer your question and for peace of mind change the springs in pairs. A broken spring would cause the arse end to sag on one side. Are you sure its not a brake lining metal to metal noise when you depress brake pedal.?
          Last edited by surfenstein; 22 December 2014, 20:08.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by cranfield View Post
            i do not have a mechanically aware bone in my body and know nothing about the workings of motor vehicles.

I have had an occasional metal on metal grind sound from the off side rear of my surf for a few weeks. !!!check rear brakes!!!
            looked under it yesterday and there is a rubber "cap/pad" that seems to have broken off in the area of the suspension/spring.!!!! Bump stop!!! Possibly ??

i would like to have a rough idea of what the problem could be, before i take it to my local garage.
            Any comments would be appreciated.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Working...
            X