Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fault Code 14 after fuel pump change.

Evening all,

First visit in a while, for reasons I wont go into, but I still have my Surf, and it has been fairly problem free.

I have had to change the fuel injection pump, as the engine was running rough when stone cold-nearly full temp, as it turned out I had a kinked fuel line under the truck where it goes to the tank, so had knackered the pump..

Cut a long story short, I last night changed my fuel pump.

Problem solved in that it now runs a treat, however I am now getting an error code 5 ( one long flash 4 short ones)

I have checked the turbo vacuum sensor, and also swapped it for another, still have a problem, checked vacuum hoses and nothing was adrift.

I have a new air filter, fuel filter, and recently cleaned out the tank and the pickup in the tank, but to be on the safe side i back blew it just to make sure, still didn't resolve the issue. (I read somewhere could be fuel starvation)

I have cleaned both small gauzes within the pump (one on the fuel inlet to the pump and the other behind the temp sender)n, (I cleaned before installing the pump) but also checked this evening just to be certain, again both clear.

I am a bit stuck, and need advice..

I have suspicions it is the engine speed sensor..
    I have the following things happening.

check engine light comes on on idle, but goes out between 1.5k-2.5k but comes back on above 2.5k and power is reduced, once light has gone out power is back... (only when revs in 1.5-2.5k)
    The speedo needle is a bit twitchy, up and down about 2-3mm as apposed to dead still,
    The rev needle dropped last night, but hasn't since and has appeared (when Ive looked) to be fine..

I have checked all the silly things, IE plugs all properly in, vac hoses all correct etc, resetting the ECU, but light comes on after 1o secs running, nothing is jumping out,,,

Very grateful for your help.
    Last edited by Jameswallace; 6 November 2014, 11:50.

Try swapping out the correction resistors with your old pump.

Comment

Many thanks

I shall do just that

Comment

Update. Having changed as suggested. I now have error codes 3 and 5 after resetting the ecu.

Im guessing since all thats changed is the resisters i guess its still that thats the problem. (Causinf these error codes) The ones i fitted had the following readings on a multimeter

560 ohms (black)

410 ohms. (Orange)

The ones ive removed had the following numbers on.

016 which equates to 0.619 (orange) tested and reading 0.617

014 which equates to 0.732 (black) tested and reading 0.730

On the basis the resisters i have fitted are different to the ones already installed on the pump, am i barking up the wrong tree by fitting the old ones? As per the thread I've pulled the above numbers from, should i replace the resisters in mine..?

Is the readings on the resisters confusing the ecu?

Ive checked all the wiring etc. all aOK.

Thank you for your help in advance!
        Last edited by Jameswallace; 5 November 2014, 23:55.

Comment

Could it be a faulty spill control valve?

Running out of enthusiasm

Edit

Re fitted original resistors. And noticed a wire had broken on the turbo vac sensor so fixed that. Back to error code 14 only and as before.

Could it be the engine speed sensor if not spill valve?

Help. Anyone?
          Last edited by Jameswallace; 6 November 2014, 16:52.

Comment

Changed spill control valve. Symptoms still the same. :-(

Are the resisters paired to the spill valve? Should i be changing the resisters back again so the ones off my old pump and where working with the control valve, so they are all form the same pump? What else could it be?!

All i've got left to change is the engine speed sensor and the timer control valve. Shall i change both of these?

It seemed to take longer to flash. And seemed to rev a bit higher. I cleaned the filter on the spill valve.

Unless it is simply just fuel starvation?!

Desperate and fed up.
            Last edited by Jameswallace; 6 November 2014, 17:11. Reason: Trying to give more accurate info!

Comment

I was feeling your pain with the exact same problem a few weeks ago. I checked and cleaned all the internal pump filters. Checked the resistance of the two resistors on the pump, both we're fine. Bought a secondhand spill control valve, still had the problem. Checked the resistance on it all was ok.

It was suggested the issue could be the timing control valve. Checked the resistance on that all ok. In the end I bought a secondhand pump. Fitted that. Works great now. Not taken the old pump apart yet to see if it will give me a clue to what the issue was.

Sorry it's not much help but understand your frustration.

Comment

Thanks for your input, it is aggravating
                Whats most annoying is not the whole 'could be this could be that' its the fact i just cant seem to get it!.

Ive got to buy a pump regardless as i nicked my mates spare to replace my dieing pump, so i am on the lookout if anyone has one!

I fear i am going to be changing the pump again. It took 4 hours with two of us all round!

Comment

Update

Been very busy and had to live with it until today

I changed the timer control valve for the one off my old original pump, no engine light but very rough idle and hunting as if lots of air present, as before i changed the pump, so tried another from another old pump and engine light back on

Would it be reasonable to assume, that because im using cooking oil (brand new stuff) that the one from my original pump is sticking..? It was OK on diesel, but not on cooking oil..

Ive got it in a jar of petrol to soak and will put 5v to it and see what happens

The ones ive tried that threw an engine management light have been sitting around un used for a few years so maybe they are all faulty

Ive tried different resisters as well to again to be sure..

Im determined to find the solution to this problem not just change the pump again..
                  Thanks

Comment

I run my motor on used veg oil with a twin tank set up. It to will run rough on idle if I have forgotten to switch over to diesel on a cold start. Have you tried it on diesel? Just a thought.

Comment

Its new oil so nice and thin

Regardless, it was warm...

Also having fitted another valve it idled beautifully so can not be the fuel causing it to idoe rough.

Somfar ive tried 3 valves! 2 cause an engine light and one runs rough as hell on idle

Comment

No update as of yer

Ive had my old time control valve soaking in petrol, to clean it all up (only the shaft) and will then soak it in injector cleaner for a week or so

I will report back if this solves the issue!

Comment

Update,

Code 14 problem found, timer control valve sticking so after a new one or has anyone re built one before?

Comment

Now got code 14 again

The symptons are:

Takes longer to start,
                            Red light comes on at 3300 rpm, no power, goes out after coasting and normal power resumes.

When i fitted the new filter (and housing, got a 5" clear housing) it took a while to draw fuel through, i pulled it most of the way with a primer bulb but it seemed like the pump didnt have much suck!

I understand the filter on the inlet has to be installed in the correct orientation otherwise it can restrict the fuel flow. Has anyone got any info to show how?

Would it be really stupid to remove the filter for a 5 mile journey to test ? (One on inlet)

Comment

Working...
                            X