Please help, run out of ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, run out of ideas.

Two weeks ago the surf started to loose power when accelerating or going up a hill and the engine management light would come on. If I slowed down the light would go off. I changed the fuel filter and all was good until yesterday.

Now it will start fine but if you rev it it gets very lumpy and cuts out. I changed the fuel filter again but does the same. I bypassed the tank and fed fuel to the fuel filter using a container I made up. Still the same. So I bypassed the filter (making sure the container was spotless) and fed fuel straight to the injection pump. Still the same, starts fine but wont rev past 2000 and when you try it cuts out.

I am out of ideas - please help!!

It is a 1997 3rd generation, had it about 4 months.

have you changed the air filter? or tried pulling the codes? if the management light is coming on then there will be a code stored.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
      have you changed the air filter? or tried pulling the codes? if the management light is coming on then there will be a code stored.

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the air filter a few weeks ago. I don't know how to read the codes as I haven't the diagnostic equipment for it.

Comment

I have just noticed that the 3 litre bottle full of fuel hardly empties on tick over. It looks like it is hardly using any fuel. I thought the bottle would drain quickly with surplus fuel being sent along the return line to the tank. Not sure if it is related to the problem.
        Last edited by diysurgeon; 28 September 2014, 15:25.

Comment

Injectors blocked?
          [B][FONT="Impact"]Cut my way in...weld my way out![/FONT][/B]

Comment

SPV (Spill control valve) goosed or filters on the injector pump gummed up or blocked.

Have you been using veg oil?

Some photos here that should help explain.....
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=12

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              SPV (Spill control valve) goosed or filters on the injector pump gummed up or blocked.

Have you been using veg oil?

Some photos here that should help explain.....
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=12
              I have been using veg oil filtered down to 0.5 micron with a twin tank system. Used a similar set up on the 2nd gen hilux with no problems.

I did undo the banjo bolt for the return fuel line and found the steel gauze/filter covered in a fine brown muck. Cleaned it and fuel return flowed much better. Will tackle the other filters next weekend. Thanks for the link, very helpful.

One thing when I took the return fuel banjo connection apart I found the little ball bearing at the top (if that makes sense). I though it would be at the bottom of the spring - is that correct? I.E should it be at the bottom of the spring?

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, it should be at the bottom i.e. bearing in first then the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Yeah, it should be at the bottom i.e. bearing in first then the spring.
                  Thanks. That makes sense, seems strange it was the other way round. Someone must have been at this in the past.

Comment

Big thanks to bushwhacked for the photos they were a great help. I checked all three filters. The control spill valve filter had a little bit of gunk but you could see light through it. The other two were clear. Cleaned all of them any way.

Still won't rev past 1500 and smokes a bit when I try. What shoukd do now? All advice gratefully accepted.

Getting desperate to get the truck on the road.

Comment

Check the codes. You need a paperclip and the info here .

Comment

could try tipping a bottle of injector cleaner directly into the fuel filter and running it through at a much higher concentration...
                        RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I will give both a go over the weekend. Knowing my luck at the moment it will need a new injection pump.

Comment

Ok and update of what I have tried so far.

It still wont rev above 1500rpm. I have checked for blocked fuel lines, change the filter, ran fuel direct to the injection pump, cleaned all three filters in the fuel pump (return pipe, temperature sensor and spill control valve). I tried some injection cleaner today, using a lemonade bottle and fuel pipe connected directly to the fuel pump. It took a surprisingly long time to empty the 3 litre bottle (approx 45 minutes).

It starts and ticks over no problem at all but when you tried to rev it it is a bit lumpy and wont go above 1500rpm.

I haven'y checked the codes as suggested by wishbone. Will try that later today.

Is a new injection pump time??? Or could it be something else.

Comment

New SPV needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X