2nd gen power steering hoses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gen power steering hoses.

Folks, I'm hoping for some collective forum help. Our 2nd gen 3.0 has gone in to our friendly local shop for some improvements to the ATF cooling following this summers towing experiences. While it was in I asked the guys to check over the power steering. It got an advisory at the last MoT about misting around the system but over the last 6 months its got noisier and a definite damp patch has appeared under where the truck is parked.

The verdict that came back today is that its one of the pressurised hoses that needs replacing. Not a big deal except that apparently the Toyota original hoses only come in pairs. Worse the quoted ones list at 300 quid. Worst of all they are not currently available.

So good people of the forum does anyone have any experience of good quality alternatives? In my youth the first thing we did with our motorbikes was replace standard brake hoses with braided lines because they looked better and performance improved. Is there a recommended equivalent in the power steering world?

Your experience and opinions will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Never heard of a hose leaking. Is it definitely the hose and not the steering box or pump?
    You can get a new hose made up at your nearest hydraulics service shop. Take the old hose with you as they will need the fittings on each end.

Can you photograph the hose? I may have on here as I don't use them on the engine conversions.

Comment

http://www.pirtek.co.uk/service-centre-locator.aspx

Comment

Thanks Bushwhacker. I'll see if I can get them to put it up on the ramp so I can grab some pictures when I go and pick it up for the weekend. I understand it's not completely toasted yet but it will only get worse and will need to be replaced for next years MoT. I may try and get hold of an old hose to use temporarily while I use mine as templates to get bespoke replacements made up by a local supplier.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Comment

Thanks Andy,

Looks like Crawley and Medway are both about 45 minutes from me. I'll explore that option too.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Comment

Working...
          X