rear lock for lowering the rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear lock for lowering the rear window

I recently pushed the key into the rear window lock to lower the window and the lock mechinsm pushed straight into the void within the plastic box section, I prised off the cover , no way of getting to it from there, then raised door up removed inner cover and found that the "box" section is held with what looks like big pop rivits, has anyone else had this problem ? if so how did you repair it. The window still works off the dash switch but can be inconvenient at times.

No replies, so can only assume this is an unusual fault never seen in the surf world before !!

Comment

Not sure what you mean by box section. Anyway - prise off the carpet covered 'soft' cover on the rear door. Under that is a sheet metal cover plate - mine was only screwed into the rear door frame. Take off this metal cover and you'll see all the internals for the window mech etc. You'll have to raise the window now with the tail gate door open - this is easy but you have to trick the rear door into thinking it is closed before it will let you close the rear window. Make sure the window doesn't 'close' too far and drop out of its tracks. Once window is up (closed) you can get your hands inside to sort out the lock - sounds like the retainer bracket has come off - dead easy fix.
      Hope this helps

Comment

hi,
        i have to agree, mine was a circlip type retainer, best to support the rear window when its extended out

Comment

I can only assume from the replies that the jap import 3ltr differs from others, in as much as when taking the inner rear door cover off there is no access to the outer rectangle box that the key switch sits in , so it looks like I will have to drill out the pop rivits to release the outer box, having inspected the key switch more closely from the outside it would appear that its screwed into the side of the box and the screws have either come out or the plastic has broken that they screw into. Also with both the door and the window up everything is accessable (bar the key switch) so no need to put the window down, it works fine from the dash switch.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but all surfs are imports. The 4runner was made for export but surfs are imports.

Comment

The reason I posted that the 3rd gen 3ltr may be different was because the two replies were from a 2nd gen and 4 runner owners, consequently the construction of the bits stuck on the back in the way of name tags and key hole positions and fixings may differ on each model.
              The outward appearance of a 4 runner for instance differs a lot from a 3rd gen surf other than the basic shape, with very few of the embelishments found on the surf.
              I am in no way being derogatory towards any other models of the surf, just that each generation and model are different to each other.

Comment

Working...
              X