X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump removal

Folks, need to pick your brains...

best/easiest way to remove the sump?

Since the wishbones look good and should all be back together tomorrow (I hope it doesn't rain) I figured best to get on with the sump before Autumn arrives in force...

I had a little google round and dropping the diff keeps cropping up. Has anyone done that? I had a quick look and I'd guess if I drop the ARB and undo the 4 bolts holding the diff cross memeber in I might get it down enough. Anyone know how much I can safely drop the diff before I break stuff?

I tried to drop the steering to get access to the sump bolts on the off chance I could find a way to get the sump out, but everything I touch is very rusty, couldn't split the joints on the steering so that plan is done and dusted.
    Last edited by andyverran; 22 August 2014, 21:17.

Dropping the diff is pretty easy - undo the 4 propshaft bolts then jack up each side on the lower balljoint so the suspension compresses. Stick a socket or some wood or whatever in between the upper bumpstop and the top arm then drop down onto axle stands. Undo the inner driveshaft nuts then undo the 4 12mm nuts on the upper balljoint. Now you can drop the upper balljoint and swing the hub forwards enough to pull the driveshaft off the diff.

Then it's just 3 bolts, 2 electrical connectors and a pair of vacuum tubes.

Really is no bother, just a bit of time.

I've got to swap my front diff soon. (have changed the rear ratio)

Rob.

Comment

Cheers for the info...Once the suspension (left side now) is back together I'll take a look at it...a few days after the rain stops!

It looked like a battle to do when i lay underneath it, put me off a bit!

Comment

Nice weather today, so dropped the diff, bit of a faff with my dodgy wrist and I did leave the drive shafts attached...but I can now see the sump at least. Tomorrows job to get it off.

Comment

After some rust removing...found the sump leak...and a few other patches that might be thin enough to weep oil.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
            After some rust removing...found the sump leak...and a few other patches that might be thin enough to weep oil.
            Gasket on my Gen 3 is ####ing oil, I think I've got to do this... Great post -

Comment

Tom,

When you do it ....

The gasket goop as a bit of a pain to put on, (if only it was a normal gasket) as you have to lie on your back an reach past the bottom end.

18 bolts on the sump (all 10mm) but you need to remove 2 bracket that join the block with the gearbox (4 x 17mm) and a lump of foam and a plate that covers the flex plate access.

I had tacken the left lower wishbone out the week before, so I knew the bolts would undo easily, hence I dropped the crossmember (4x17mm) with the diff attached, having undone the 2 large mounts to the chassis (2x19mm - they were f***ing tight), disconnected the vac hoses to the diff (x2) and the wireing (x2 connectors).

That lot let me lower the diff just far enough (like I had an inch to spare) to get the sump out of the back. PS disconnect propshaft (4x14mm and easy to round off if using a bar as access with sockets is not ideal near the UJ).

I know that's not gen 3, hope some of that is in some way helpful.

Oops, forgot to say, on a gen 2 at least I needed to drop the steering damper so the sump could come down at the front to clear the crank.
              Last edited by andyverran; 11 September 2014, 19:18.

Comment

Sod that it can carry on ####ing oil!

Lol - thanks though, too much faffing with things I can easily break!

Tom

Comment

Its not as hard as it sounds, I was put of to initially...I just did one bit a day till it was off, nice easy targets then for each day.

Comment

My next job so useful thread

Comment

Working...
                    X