New Surfer,Ride choppy,poor mpg, remote key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surfer,Ride choppy,poor mpg, remote key

I have just bought a 96 SSR X 3.0L KZN185 Surf, "I love it" but I feel the ride/handeling is very choppy. When I hit a bump or pot hole, even a small one it seems too through me about and I get a lot of bump steer, I have had other 4x4s before and not found them too be as dad, Is this normal ? I am also only getting about 20 mpg. Finaly do the SSR X have remote locking off the key? CAN ANYONE HELP!!

if your getting bump steer, its probebly the steering stabilser bit the dust, a normal Surf with handle the bumps smoothly. But also get the shocks checked out and make sure that the front springs arn't knackered and letting front end sit on the bumpstops.

MPG should be between 25 at the worst and 30 at best for a 3.0, but it bepends on your right foot.

Originally posted by singy
    I have just bought a 96 SSR X 3.0L KZN185 Surf, "I love it" but I feel the ride/handeling is very choppy. When I hit a bump or pot hole, even a small one it seems too through me about and I get a lot of bump steer, I have had other 4x4s before and not found them too be as dad, Is this normal ? I am also only getting about 20 mpg. Finaly do the SSR X have remote locking off the key? CAN ANYONE HELP!!

if your getting bump steer, its probebly the steering stabilser bit the dust, a normal Surf with handle the bumps smoothly. But also get the shocks checked out and make sure that the front springs arn't knackered and letting front end sit on the bumpstops.

MPG should be between 25 at the worst and 30 at best for a 3.0, but it bepends on your right foot.
    As said get shocks checked out and the steering stabiliser, same as for the mpg
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

3rd gen doesn't have a steering stabiliser - don't go looking for it Instead use your time to search for the illusive flux capacitor.

I had my front shocks replaced about a year ago which helped a lot with the handling and pot holes. Still not that great tho. The replacement shocks were stock Toy ones btw.
      Next on my list is the lower control arm bushes - will see if that helps sort my issues. I'm planning a 2" suspension lift (replacement springs & shocks) after that, so I should be able to tell what makes the biggest difference to the front suspension.

Comment

Oh yeah, mpg. I usually get about 26 on longer journeys with a bit of m-way, dual carriage ways and A roads. Above 80 or 85 it starts to go down v quickly tho and around town its crap too!

Comment

3rd Gen, 3.0, variable MPG

My 1996 model gets 21 to 26 MPG on smaller journeys - mostly 20 miles a day around lanes, with 40 miles into town once a week.

But I've recently started experimenting with the vegetable oil approach. Whilst I've not measured the MPG yet... normally I'll do about 400 kms on a tank. Presently, I'm at 400 kms on only 3/4 of the tank.

This suggests to me that the MPG can be much better with a little bit of veg oil. I'm only using 10 liters in the tank, the rest being ordinary diesel. Might be worth looking into?

I'll post some accurate figures when I have them. (I do this in Excel... bit anal retentive about it!)

Comment

Thanks every one for your help!

Will be looking into some of your suggestions, I am a motor technician and have checked the most of your suggestions. The only way I can describe it is "if you've ever driven a convertible car, when you go over bumps its like the front and back ends bounce separately as the body twists" This you wouldn’t expect from a monster 4x4 like a Surf.
            Will keep you all informed!

Singy

Comment

The only way I can describe it is "if you've ever driven a convertible car, when you go over bumps its like the front and back ends bounce separately as the body twists" This you wouldn’t expect from a monster 4x4 like a Surf.
              Just a thought, check all your body mounts for tightness.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Has someone removed the anti-roll bars?

R.
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Nature of the beast,big cumbersome 4x4s DONT handle like sports cars!Mines also has a noise when driving along windy/bumpy country roads which can only be described as a "chattering" noise coming from either the doors/windows or wind deflectors......any suggestions?Cheers.The shocks on mine seem to be too hard and unforgiving,unfortunately I don't have the luxury of adjustable dampers.