oh dear shes getting hot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh dear shes getting hot...

my kzn 130 today decided to start getting hot on hills and generally when working over about 1700rpm. Its the first time its done it since ive had it, the temp gauge has been rock steady. Its going in the garage tomorrow , but any advice from you guys in the know? Is it cooked?? when i got to work this morning it was boiling, steaming and had spat the coolant all over the engine bay and everything was wayyyyyyyyy to hot to touch. unforunatley i live at the top of a hill so had to make a pit stop to let it cool down before attempting to get back. It needed a little bit of work on the running gear but i said to myself "well at least the engine is good!......"

cylinder head gone, me thinks

Comment

Sounds like your head given up unfortunately. Easy enough job if you have some technical abilities on the 3.0, the 2.4 is far more awkward to do.

Comment

Check the radiator

I had exactly the same issue last Summer, and in fact through Autumn as well even in the cold windy weather. It was alarming to find ourselves driving the hilly countryside in North Wales and finding the temp gauge rapidly climbing into the readline every time we went up even a moderately steep hill. One time a hill was steep enough that I was literally praying to get to the top of the hill, and on reaching the summit had to pull over immediately to let her cool down on fast idle before proceeding. Very fortunatley I managed to avoid boiling her through sheer vigilance watching the temp.

(It seemed at the time that every time the engine spun up the turbo to any significant degree, the temp would shoot up)

After checking things like the viscous fan and worrying about cracked head etc, the issue turned out to be very very simple to solve. Turns out that on one of the green laning expeditions earlier in the year, I'd actually managed to clog up the lower quarter of the radiator core with clay - which never got properly washed out when cleaning the truck down. The solution was simply to drop the bash plate off under the Engine, and climb under there with a jetwash and gently clean out the radiator core. (note - *very* gently!!) Also cleaned out a bunch of clay which I hadn't noticed had got stuck up around the sump and oil filter etc.

Since cleaning up the radiator, the temperature has been rock solid.

Its worth remembering that the lower section of the radiator contains an integral oil cooler ...

Comment

thankyou for your replies. It turns out the top of the radiator was split along the seam, its all soldered up now and temp gauge is back to being solid as ever! It was just lucky i noticed the temp gauge before it got hot enough to do any damage!

Comment

Originally posted by adamski View Post
            thankyou for your replies. It turns out the top of the radiator was split along the seam, its all soldered up now and temp gauge is back to being solid as ever! It was just lucky i noticed the temp gauge before it got hot enough to do any damage!
            HAve it tested for combustion gas in the radiator as the radiators can go there with the gas pressure if head/gasket it on the way out

Comment

Working...
            X