Help with starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with starting problem

Newbie to this mechanicing thing. Until this year had done very little work on the Surf myself but had overheating problem 3 weeks ago, with all signs pointing to the cylinder head being the culprit.

Thanks to all the excellent advice on here, I have now replaced the cylinder head (old one has cracks between all valve pairs!!) and reassembled all the rest.

Problem is, it won't start. Definitely fuel getting from the fuel filter to the pump, but nothing from the fuel lines at the injectors. Am hearing bubbling when priming the fuel filter for the first few pumps but this then stops.
    There's about 1/4 of a tank of diesel and it is parked on a slope (had to go and break down a my dad's, rather than at home where there's a barn...)

Any suggestions?

Have you cracked off an injector line while cranking to remove any air?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Yep. Had all 4 fuel lines off the injectors this morning. Fuel now getting through all 4 lines, still not starting though.
      Last attempt did give a jump on the rev counter. Pause for lunch and recharging the battery...

Comment

Fully charged batteries are a good idea.
        Fingers crossed.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

IT LIVES!!!

Got a bit of an oil leak, but running so much more smoothly than before. Somewhat in a state if disbelief that I have actually managed to change the cylinder head with no professional help and without having done any engine maintenance beyond changing glow plugs before!

Much thanks to all who have posted technical help on here, I have been most grateful for tge accumulated wisdom. Happy Kat indeed. Now for theg150 mile drive home...

Comment

Working...
          X