X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN130 Not starting any help appreciated

Hi all

I'll explain how it came about an it might help

Drove about 50 miles no problem, then going down a long hill with a bend at the bottom I noticed the steering getting stiff, looked at the dash and all dash lights had come on, the engine had stopped

So there was not big bangs, oil is ok, no grindings, tapping, loss of coolant or smoke out of the exhaust it just quietly stopped

Now all it does is try to start but never does, its kicking smoke out of the exhaust the longer I crank it over, also the more I crank it the better it seems to get after about 30 seconds, or if I just flick the key the initial click seems to fire better too

No warning lights on the dash and the glow plugs light comes on ok

So far I've checked the lift pump, fuel filter both are ok and there is fuel coming out of the pump, no water in the trap either

Tried firing it up by using easy start and apart from more noise i.e. tapping from the easy start it doesn't make any difference

No fuses blown

cracked the injectors and at least some fuel is coming out not sure what sort of pressure it should be though

The immobiliser normally stops the check engine light coming on and that's ok as its always been

I had a guy come down and plug in a diagnostic machine and not faults showing, tps sensor and cranking could be seen to work

can anyone else point me in the right direction

It's either your immobiliser or a fuel problem.
    Have you tried cranking it over with someone pumping the primer?

Comment

Cambelt ?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        It's either your immobiliser or a fuel problem.
        Have you tried cranking it over with someone pumping the primer?
        Yeah I've tried it no difference

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        Cambelt ?
        Haven't checked the timing but the belt is still in place

thanks so far people

Comment

I think I'd remove the an injector and reconnect it to the pipe outside of the engine and see if it's firing whilst cranking. If yes then I'd do a compression test.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            I think I'd remove the an injector and reconnect it to the pipe outside of the engine and see if it's firing whilst cranking. If yes then I'd do a compression test.
            Is there a rough amount of fuel I should get for say a 5 second crank??

I've read about the spill valve at the back of the pump is there a way of testing it ??

Comment

Just make sure you get a decent atomised 'squirt' and not a dribble..

Dunno about the spill valve stuff, just trying to make sure you're getting a decent fuel spray in the chamber and decent compression.

Check through the basic stuff before taking the fuel pump apart etc..

Comment

Do Not get your fingers any where near the injector spray!!!
                Diesel injectors have potentially skin piecing potential.

Regards

Mark

Comment

sheared woodruff key on the injector pump or camshaft?
                  unlikely though if it just stopped quietly and it's trying to start
                  Last edited by wasp132; 31 January 2014, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
                    Do Not get your fingers any where near the injector spray!!!
                    Diesel injectors have potentially skin piecing potential.

Regards

Mark
                    I'll second that...

and take a look here at patterns for the fuel:
                    http://www.danosperformance.com/fuel...w_matching.htm

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzws_H9z5Zg

Might need to clean them out, it could be blocking your spill control valve causing it to fail

Comment

As it happened suddenly with no clunking or grating, and it turns over, it sounds like an electrical issue to me - immobiliser maybe or ECU connection to the injector pump, or an injector pump solenoid. I don't know which of those if any would show up on the Toyota diagnostics. Ultimately, you might try swapping out the injector pump if you can find someone who'll lend you a spare.
                        Looks Fade, But Dumb Is Forever

Comment

I've got a spare pump hanging around...

Comment

Originally posted by Beau168 View Post
                            I've got a spare pump hanging around...
                            I bought a second hand one from ebay an it manage to start when really advanced but also kept loosing pressure

At least from it starting I now know it is the pump, if you could message me your number I'll give you a call I'm missing the old truck after so long in a soleless hire van,

Comment

Originally posted by jon norris View Post
                              I bought a second hand one from ebay an it manage to start when really advanced but also kept loosing pressure

At least from it starting I now know it is the pump, if you could message me your number I'll give you a call I'm missing the old truck after so long in a soleless hire van,
                              Can't message as I'm not a member, but my number is 07701048035.

Comment

Working...
                              X