Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding sound when 4WD engaged

This is for a 1996 SSRX, KZN185

A while back I had the front prop reconditioned and all was well.

I've just started getting a very brief grinding sound on engaging any kind of 4WD. It works fine once engaged and doesn't do this when disengaged.

Weather today was a fairly hard frost. 4WD was a bit reluctant to engage the first time, but then did. Stopped the car for an hour and then this problem appeared on the way back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have multi-mode 4wd or the council variety?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It's multi-mode.

Comment

Have you checked the oil in the diffs?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Could be either a weak vacuum supply to the front diff actuator or the electric motor on the transfercase that engages 4wd is on it's way out.

Comment

Thank you for the above answers and sorry for not coming back sooner.

I'll take this info along and get it looked at. As far as I know the diff oil is OK but will double check.

It engages OK but that noise is there when you first hit the button.

What sort of cost are we looking at for a front diff actuator or motor?

Comment

Today's exciting update:

Just out and about, chanced engaging the 4WD (button not lever). Crunch - we expected that. Couldn't disengage it before I had to park, so left it. Came back a few hours later, start up, engage gear "whzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" no forward motion. Shit. Engage 4WD button. BANG! forward we go.

That happened a couple of times. Is it consistent with what's been suggested above?

Just wondering.

Comment

Keeping this tale updated in case anyone else finds it useful in future...

Front diff oil - perfect. Ditto rear diff oil. The transfer case however; different story.

Unplugged it and found it 3/4 filled with oxtail soup. Rich, thick and brown. Ah.

Will be draining and replacing the oil tomorrow and see if that remedies the problem. If no joy after that, it'll be the vac tubes and motor.

Comment

Oil change nearly worked but fault has reasserted itself. Thinking it must be the motor.

Comment

Latest on the non-engagement and noise/thump when trying to engage 4WD is that it's almost certainly the actuator which sits on the transfer box.

Replacement new part costs a small fortune.

Anyone got one available or know of one?

Thanks!

Comment

*bump*

how did you go with this?
                      mine has a similar issue, thinking it is one of the actuators or tf case...
                      here in Aus they are roughly $110-$250 second hand
                      4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Hi Chris - it was the actuator motor - £750 +VAT and then plus fitting in the UK.

Might you, or indeed anyone anywhere, have access to a supply of the second-hand ones? I run a small company that imports reloading and shooting stuff anyway, so can arrange collection and payment etc.

Just PM me and/or post on here. It's an actuator motor to engage 4WD on a KZN185 1196 Hilux 3.0 L automatic.

Thanks!

Comment

Yep mine was the transfer motor too.
                          2nd hand plus fitting was au$360.

You should be able to get an endless supply from allfourx4 wreckers.
                          They're located in NSW, Australia.
                          They're alot cheaper than 750pound!
                          4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Originally posted by Orinoco View Post

1196 Hilux.
                            My, that's an early one

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                              My, that's an early one
                              LOL - King Ethelred's car of choice.

Thanks for the lead on the motor suppliers Chris. Will give them a shout.

Comment

Working...
                              X