New to Surf and need some pointers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Surf and need some pointers.

Hi I am new to owning a Surf having just bought a KN130 3.0, got it as a simple winter run around as I finish the building of Range Rover.

I think the Surf will be getting held onto as I love not having loads of computers and warning messages to deal with!!

The Surf starts and runs fine, but seems slow getting up to speed and when faced with a hill slows to around 40 Mph and I have noticed the auto box seems to change up and down at random, sometimes too early or late or so it seems, either engine revs high or it kinda bogs down if you get my drift!

The auto box has had a fluid change and the dipstick shows clean fresh fluid, engine has had oil and filter changed along with air and diesel filters.

Now here is were I need help, form reading on here is it possible for the slow to build speed and climb hills issue the turbo has an issue, I don't see any light on the dash for turbo nor do I get any warning lights?? Any pointers for what to look for??

The auto box, what do I need to check and do I have any adjustment for changing up or shifting down that could help?

Last question would a faulty ecu effect the running and auto box and if so what checks can I do before sending it away for repair?

Due home onshore from work Friday so hope to look at what is going-on, did try some garages around Aberdeen but nobody wants to touch the Surf, so it is down to trying what you guys on here say is worth trying.

To be able to comment on this we need to know which surf you have i.e. engine

Please add your vehicle details to your profile if you want accurate answers

Comment

He has a KZN130.

Nev.

Comment

Missed that

Comment

Did you check the transmission fluid while the truck was running, and you had shifted through all gears? If you have checked it cold, it might show ok on the dipstick, but will actually be low when in operation.

Do you get any engine check orange lights coming on?

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
            Did you check the transmission fluid while the truck was running, and you had shifted through all gears? If you have checked it cold, it might show ok on the dipstick, but will actually be low when in operation.

Do you get any engine check orange lights coming on?
            The auto box oil change was done by the last owner, I checked the level cold but what you say rings true as on the Rangie I had to run it through the gears and check level with engine running..so good starting point..thanks!

No warning lights, when you switch-on you see the lights on the dash and all go off when started, no lights come-on as you drive.
            Last edited by HAGGISBIKER; 18 December 2013, 20:23.

Comment

I had a similar problem with random gear changes, it turned out to be a broken wire from the speedo sensor on the back of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by peterjohn View Post
                I had a similar problem with random gear changes, it turned out to be a broken wire from the speedo sensor on the back of the box.
                Thanks for that...sounds like a good point to check..so I take it that the sensor reads for the speedo and also via the ecu allows the box to change at the correct point.

May I ask was your speedo still working, mine is but reads on the high side but I think this has to do with the 16" wheels and large tyres.

Comment

hello & welcome Alex.

Not sure about your query. 40 mph uphill is normal

Comment

2.4 ...

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
                      hello & welcome Alex.

Not sure about your query. 40 mph uphill is normal
                      Guess for hills it will have to be the V8 Rangie then!

Comment

After sorting the break in the wire, the gearbox behaved and the speedo read ok.

Comment

Working...
                        X