need advice on repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on repairs

Okay, I was driving my Hilux last month, and the radiator blew on me. As in, it blew a seal.

I took it to a repair shop, and it has been a bit of a nightmare due to low staffing getting someone to source parts and stuff for it. They told me that the water pump seemed to back up, blowing the seal on the radiator, and that I would need a new one of each. Plus, I might as well get a timing belt done while they are in there.

Now, here's the dilemma. They're "not sure" if the head gasket has gone or not, as they can't do a pressure test. So they'd have to do this expensive repair of the radiator and water pump first, in order to check the head gasket. At that time, they could then do the timing belt if the head gasket is good. If it isn't, it opens up a whole other basket of worms as we say.

Does this all sound correct to you? There was a cloud of mist from the rad blowing, and I pulled over within 10 seconds I estimate. The temp was quite high, and I immediately turned the vehicle off. Possible head gasket?

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Can you not get a simple "sniffer" test done to see if there are exhaust gases in the coolant system ?? prior to any works being done.

this would at least give you and idea if it is possibly the head gasket or worse case the actual head having gone

Test kit available here

Comment

Apparently no one here has ever heard of a sniffer test. And I'll see if there is a local kit available...honestly, to have it shipped to Canada? It'd probably be January or even February once it passed customs and Xmas.

Comment

I just talked to the guy I bought it from, and he's telling me that they should be able to do a leak down test without a radiator. He also gave me the number of a guy to call regarding doing the work. Said it would be much cheaper for me to buy the parts myself and have his aquaintance do the work.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the KZN130 and KZN180 radiators for the 3.0L engine?
        Last edited by Dunl; 4 December 2013, 23:58.

Comment

Check em out for ya self but KZN 185 rad does say what it fits. (unfortunately it does not say KZN 130 ......

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=164

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=179

12+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for those links...I have a KZN185.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunl View Post
              Does anyone know if there is a difference in the KZN130 and KZN185 radiators for the 3.0L engine?

KZN185 (3rd gen) radiators are alloy construction with plastic top and bottom tanks.
              KZN130 radiators are steel/copper/brass construction.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                KZN185 (3rd gen) radiators are alloy construction with plastic top and bottom tanks.
                KZN130 radiators are steel/copper/brass construction.
                Well that would be great if they are interchangeable?

Comment

Well that would be great if they are interchangeable?
                  Looks like they're not interchangeable.

185 radiator...

130 radiator....

Comment

Well, to make a long story short, I will never go to that shop for service. Never.

My baby is home now, safe and sound, but still injured. I plan to do the work myself if I can. I'll try to get some pictures, as the rad is quite a fantastic rupture.

If there was a decent all metal no plastic rad I could swap in, I'd be interested.

Comment

This is why I'd prefer not to go with a plastic one again...I'm going to start researching into a rad swap from something else.

Anything I need to know....pressures, etc?
                      Attached Files

Comment

No reason as far as I can see for not using a radiator from a KZN130, you'll just have to fabricate a couple of brackets to secure it to the support panel as it's slightly narrower than the plastic 185 radiator.

Comment

Are those full metal, or is the black surround plastic as well?

Comment

Are those full metal, or is the black surround plastic as well?
                            Steel frame with brass tanks and copper fins.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Steel frame with brass tanks and copper fins.

Sweet. I thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X