Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this noise correct?

I have recently gone from a 93' 2.4 to a 94' 3.0,

The 2.4 had the sound of the turbo spinning when you accelerated which coincided with the turbo light coming on.

With the 3.0, I hear the turbo spooling up and then there is a sound like wind roaring, it's hard to explain, but it sounds like wind on a stormy night, louder than the turbo spooling sound. The car seems to drive fine, but it sounds like a hover craft.

Any ideas if this is normal? It is there a common fault that gives this sound?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Hi Ben,

Obviously I have no clue, having never driven a 3.0, but if in doubt check stuff...like the hoses from the turbo aren't leaking...don't want that turbo spinning to fast do we

Comment

I can honestly say mine never sounded like that when i had it.

As above check all the hoses for air leaks

Comment

Can't say mine sounds like a hovercraft .... mine spools up n whistles nicely too

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
        Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 27 August 2013, 22:57.
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, although I'm handy with a spanner, and I have seen pictures of Turbo chargers, I haven't a clue where to look or what I'm looking for.

It would Sound logical that a hose may be leaking if its a wind noise
          I'm hearing, although I would have thought how the truck drives would have been affected, mind you, I don't know how it should drive having not had a 3.0 before!

If anyone can point out where and what I should be looking for that would be a big help before I have a ganders tomorrow.

Cheers

Comment

2.4 looks like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/hilux-surf-turbo

I suspect it's lower on the engine on the 3.0L...someone who knows will enlighten us no doubt....

Follow the inlet hose from the air cleaner, when you burn your hands you've found it

Comment

Had a quick look this morning, can't see anything loose. I revved the tits off the engine, no whistling sound, so whether its just under load, or is a drive train issue? Don't think it is something on the outside of the car as it goes up and down with the engine. Maybe it's just a noisy turbo?

Comment

You could check the air filter to see if the previous owner has put an aftermarket one in and check the pipe off the air filter is not split (common problem ).
                GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marcdtr View Post
                  You could check the air filter to see if the previous owner has put an aftermarket one in and check the pipe off the air filter is not split (common problem ).
                  I checked this and did find a whacking great split in the air filter pipe, so did a bit of DIY on it.

This little fix however didn't have an effect on the noise. I'm taking it to a local garage for something else tomorrow so will ask them to have a poke around while its on the ramps. I'll let you know if they find anything, If not then I guess ill just assume it is just the noise it makes.

Comment

Sure its not your viscous fan, they make a fair old
                    windy racket when locked up.
                    Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
                      Sure its not your viscous fan, they make a fair old
                      windy racket when locked up.
                      I haven't checked, I've read a little about them, do I just stick a rolled up newspaper in the fan and see what it does to it?

Comment

Hi
                        Does it only come in at about 1200 revs and sound like a whistle. On here somewhere was a post about a noise. It turns out to be the injector pump return if I remember correctly. A small spring with a ball on top. Needs stretching slightly to make the ball seat correctly.
                        I'll see if I can find the link.

Found the link, it's a long thread, answer on page 2
                        http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewt...er=asc&start=0
                        Last edited by Sparkie67; 7 September 2013, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
                          Hi
                          Does it only come in at about 1200 revs and sound like a whistle. On here somewhere was a post about a noise. It turns out to be the injector pump return if I remember correctly. A small spring with a ball on top. Needs stretching slightly to make the ball seat correctly.
                          I'll see if I can find the link.

Found the link, it's a long thread, answer on page 2
                          http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewt...er=asc&start=0
                          It does sound like a whistle, and 1200 ish would be heading for the right area. The link that you posted doesn't work though, I would prefer the truck to sound meaty that whistley!

Comment

Working...
                          X