Front torsion bars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front torsion bars.

This is a cheeky post bit I have fitted bigger tyres to my truck. I have fitted +2" rear springs but I need to raise the front an inch or two but am not confident on doing it. I have looked at the guides but its beyond what I can do.

Is there anyone in the Hampshire area that would be willing to come and wind the front of my truck up for me. I am happy to pay in cash of beer.

Thanks

Jason

Mate have ago yourself if your worried count the turns you do on the bolts so you can put it back if your not happy and do it with the front jacked up. Sorry I'm not near you.
    GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Not too confident to do it. Plus I have very limited tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1970 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Not too confident to do it. Plus I have very limited tools.
        Might be time to invest in tools....you'll save a bundle in the end.

Comment

Bring it up to Brum and I'll lend you the tools and space

Comment

This is a cheeky post bit I have fitted bigger tyres to my truck. I have fitted +2" rear springs but I need to raise the front an inch or two but am not confident on doing it. I have looked at the guides but its beyond what I can do.

Is there anyone in the Hampshire area that would be willing to come and wind the front of my truck up for me. I am happy to pay in cash of beer.

Thanks

Jason
            Hi, isn't Basingstoke quite near you...? Try www.4x4toys.co.uk
            Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna do a bit of research and have a crack at it.
              Fingers crossed.

Comment

Can anyone advise me on how many full turns it will need to raise the truck about 1" - 1.5"

Comment

IMHO that is a hard one as it wil depend on how tired your torsion bars are.

If it was me I would work in sessions of 10 turns on each side at a time, and then take it for a run round the block to settle it down and measure.

You will get a good idea from the ffirst measurement of how much it will need, and don't be surprised if one side needs a little more than the other.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a go. Is that 10 full turns of the bolt?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a go. Is that 10 full turns of the bolt?
                      Yes, but if nervous do it five at a time and take your time to get it right.

Comment

If you haven't already done them, don't fret. It really is a simple job. I did mine today.

All you need is a jack, some axle stands (for safety) and a ratchet with a 22mm socket.

As Growler said take your time and do a few turns at a time. Take it for a little run between each lot of adjustment, measure and repeat until you have it right.

The only other advice I would give is the same for messing around with any 15 year old nuts and bolts, plenty of wd40 a few days in advance.

The ride on mine is improved beyond belief.

Good luck.

Comment

Take it to a professional wheel alignment place.

Winding up your torsion bars will change you alignment ( camber )

Maybe buy a couple spare torsion bar bolts. I had a bolt seize a couple weeks after install of the torsion bars
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80260

Comment

Cheers for all the replies. I had a look today. The bolt on the bottom has had a good squirt of WD40. Is there a top nut? I guess there is and this is what I need to turn.
                            I'm gonna let the WD40 do it's stuff for a few days.

I gather the bottom bolt is static and if I feel up between the floor and the torsion bar I will find the nut that needs to be tightened. Or is it the bottom bolt head that I wind in.

All help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies. I had a look today. The bolt on the bottom has had a good squirt of WD40. Is there a top nut? I guess there is and this is what I need to turn.
                              I'm gonna let the WD40 do it's stuff for a few days.

I gather the bottom bolt is static and if I feel up between the floor and the torsion bar I will find the nut that needs to be tightened. Or is it the bottom bolt head that I wind in.

All help is very much appreciated.
                              Bolt head under chassis is the part you need to turn.

Nut on the top is captive and should stay in place, but they have been known to break loose and then require a spanner to hold in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X