Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed on greasing points

Hi folks
    Just started getting an annoying whirring noise from the back end of my 93 3.0 SSRX.
    The back end gets submerged into the sea frequently from launching my jetski, so started thinking that maybe the grease points need topping up.
    I've got the grease gun and the grease + the grease point diagram, but am unsure on the proceedure.
    Such as, does the nipple need to be undone before putting grease gun nipple over it and how much grease do you put in etc etc.
    Is there an idiots guide to the job or can someone advise me?
    gonna check the diff oil as well.
    Mazzerman
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    [FONT=times new roman][/FONT][COLOR=red][I][B]1994 SSR X LTD 3.0[/B][/I][/COLOR]

Originally posted by mazzerman
    Hi folks
    Just started getting an annoying whirring noise from the back end of my 93 3.0 SSRX.
    The back end gets submerged into the sea frequently from launching my jetski, so started thinking that maybe the grease points need topping up.
    I've got the grease gun and the grease + the grease point diagram, but am unsure on the proceedure.
    Such as, does the nipple need to be undone before putting grease gun nipple over it and how much grease do you put in etc etc.
    Is there an idiots guide to the job or can someone advise me?
    gonna check the diff oil as well.
    Mazzerman

THis has been discussed on many an occassion but...Just push the fitting on the grease gun over the nipple, squeeze until you can see the grease coming out.....the nipple on the greasing points seems to be like the ball point pen...pressure asserted and the item opens up to take the grease.
    Gaz

Comment

Thanks for the reply, will give it a try.
      [FONT=times new roman][/FONT][COLOR=red][I][B]1994 SSR X LTD 3.0[/B][/I][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mazzerman
        Thanks for the reply, will give it a try.
        You will not see any grease comming out from the sliding joint on the drive shaft, just give it a squirt or two as overgreasing this point can lead to knocking noises if the joint becomes hydraulically locked.

You should really regrease all points after any occasion they have been submerged!
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

If you are regularly submerging the rear in the sea it might be worth having a look at the oil in the rear diff. Sea water ain't a good substitute! Extending the diff breather would also be advisable - do a search - it's been covered lots of times.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
          X