New owner - tips needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner - tips needed!!

I have just bought a 3.0 1995 ssrg (kzn130) direct from auction. I have not picked it up yet as I have left it for sva/mot registration etc. It has 99000 k on the clock and appears in good order. The timing belt light is on, so I propose to get the belt changed and also oil and filters. I have read a lot about overheating, should I get the coolant changed for the uk? I would also appreciate any other tips on things i should do/know before using it.
    Thanks.

99000Km on clock and timingbelt is on. Didn't understand. I belive light turn on when clock shows 100000Km

Comment

Originally posted by mithujee
      99000Km on clock and timingbelt is on. Didn't understand. I belive light turn on when clock shows 100000Km
      They come on at 100K kms generally however a number of people find that they come on at other times. Maybe it's been clocked, maybe not. To be honest I would change the timing belt enyway on a new import as you don't know it's history.

I wouldn't worry too much about the indicated mileage anyway too much, you would drive yourself mad - the engines are good for a lot of miles on the 3.0 anyway. Plus changing the belt on the 3 litre is a doddle anyway - 30 - 40 minutes tops.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that, any other bits worth doing? Should i change the coolant? All tips welcome!!
        Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by andyh2
          Thanks, I'll do that, any other bits worth doing? Should i change the coolant? All tips welcome!!
          Andy.
          Yep coolant flush, new thermostat, new radiator cap decent quality antifreeze, oil and oil filter change, air filter and fuel filter. Standard service really plus the coolant. When you change the coolant make sure that you refill it slowly - these things are a pain for getting airlocks, more of a problem on the 2.4 but even the 3.0 with a rear heater has long heater pipes which can cause you problems. Make sure that both the heaters (if you have a rear one) are ON when you drain and refill the system.

Other things worth doing while you have the spanners out, grease the front suspension ball joints, propshaft UJs.

Cheers and welcome to the great world of Surf ownership when it arrives.

Comment

Thanks for the help, hope to have it soon if the sva people get their act together!! Looking forward to some off road events!
            Cheers, Andy.

Comment

Working...
            X