Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing/whining/twittering at low revs

Hi all

I've recently noticed my 3rd gen 3.0 making a squealing, twittering sound at low revs. It's worse when the engine's cold, and when I first start it "twitters" at idle, but once it's warm it only makes the sound from about 900-1000 RPM.

I initially thought it was a belt squeal. I've just had some work done on the car and had a set of spare roughtrax belts including timing belt which I asked them to fit. The squeal's still there

I asked the garage and they reckoned it was gas blowing past a dodgy gasket, "most likely the EGR valve" and told me not to worry unless it started getting worse.

I've had a look on here and most people who desribe a similar sound seem to think it's this harmonic dampener doodad. I'm assuming that the garage would have noticed if any of the pulleys were dodgy when they replaced the belts though...

What's causing it? Is there an easy way to check?

Cheers!

Alternator?

Comment

Hmm... Thanks, hadn't considered that. Any easy way to diagnose without taking the alternator/belt off?

Also, silly question -- I have an old reconditioned 2nd gen alternator stashed at my dad's somewhere. It's from a 2.4 though -- will it fit a 3.0 3rd gen? There's a thread somewhere on here that says 3.0 2nd and 3rd gens are interchangeable...

Cheers

Comment

Yeah it should fit, they're the same engines.

Try squirting some WD40 behind the pulley on the alternator, thats where they usually chirp.

Comment

Originally posted by bazyr View Post

Also, silly question -- I have an old reconditioned 2nd gen alternator stashed at my dad's somewhere. It's from a 2.4 though -- will it fit a 3.0 3rd gen? There's a thread somewhere on here that says 3.0 2nd and 3rd gens are interchangeable...

Cheers
          Not from a 2.4, tis different.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X