Gear box trouble !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear box trouble !

Hi there, my surf seems to have developed a problem with its auto box. As soon as the oil gets warm there is little or no drive in any direction. If I turn off the ignition and restart it I get about 50 feet of trouble free motoring lol until the drive all but disappears again. Any thoughts would be great. Thx in advance ,mark.

Oh I should add that oil is clean and to the correct level.

Did you check fluid level with engine running, and make sure it's fully engaged into H. Knock it out then back in.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Switching off the ignition and then back on 'resets' the gearbox solenoids.

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running? Sounds like low fluid level to me.

If the fluid level is still OK, unplug the multi-plug on the passenger side of the gearbox and see if you get gears by shifting 'manually'.

If it now works, then the problem is electrical.

If still no gears (and the fluid level is correct) then it's an internal fault (clutch bands) Dropping the sump and looking at the magnets inside will confirm this.

How quickly did the problem appear, gradually or within the last couple of drives?

Do us all favour and add your vehicle details under your username. Ta.

Comment

Thx for replys :-). I ran the engine for a short while and checked it almost immediately after turning off. Fluid was ok but on the low side so I topped it up to correct level. I'll check the electronic side of things asap.

Forgot to add , that the problem occurred with no warning. Seemed to ' miss a beat ' on a gear change while accelerating and then after that it was 10 mph at big revs all the way home.
        Last edited by mark davies; 12 February 2013, 13:50.

Comment

Well therein lies the problem. (hopefully)

Too much fluid is just as bad as not enough.

Start the engine (LEAVE IT IDLING) and check the fluid level again.

Comment

Working...
          X