Code 13 assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 13 assistance needed

I've had a lot of trouble with my KZN185 conversion, but I'm getting very close to completion. I picked up a new ECU (without all the immobilizer junk) and I am now getting fault code 13, and still not starting up.

I have verified continuity of the Speed sensor circuit, as well as the resistance within spec according to the factory service manual for the Speed sensor AND the Crank position sensor (just in case).

I'm thinking the current problem is that the 2 wires for the engine speed sensor have been switched, reversing the current through the sensor causing the problem. The reason I suspect this is: My wiring harness was significantly modifed/botched and according to the ECU Pinout, the wire for NE+ is black while the wire for NE- is solid white?

Maybe this makes no difference and my problem lies elsewhere. BUT! If any of you gents could be so kind to have a look at your ecu plugs for me and let me know if mine are in the correct place I would be extremely grateful!

The location is (on a 3 plug ECU) on the 26pin connector, when veiw from the back, the 4th socket position from the right, both top and bottom. Thanks!

If anyone has any other suggestions for why this code may be thrown please let me know. Also, this is the only code coming up if I did not make that clear previously. Thank you.

Comment

Code 13 = No RPM signal above 600rpm.

Pretty sure thats to do with the engine speed sensor on top of the fuel pump.
      See diagrams #1 and #5 here......

https://picasaweb.google.com/toddmcc...at=directlink#

I don't know if you have seen this pdf as well, but I'll post it anyway, might be helpful....

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...NIN-PINOUT.pdf

Comment

Thanks, I have actually been using that second link you posted as a reference in my quest. I have been through the steps to verify that my Speed sensor is within spec as listed in the manual.

After some more tinkering this evening, I can now get the truck to crank up and keep running.... although its rough and poooouring out the smoke. Also surges about 500rpm or so(estimated as I do not have a functional tachometer yet)

Comment

Yet another update: (I'm running back and forth from the garage to the computer)

The beast lives. I bled the injectors and that cut down the smoke and improved the idle quality tremendously. Still runs a bit rough, and puffing some smoke. Also still getting the code 13. But after nearly a year of tinkering, searching online, waiting on parts, searching online, trial and error, and a little searching online at least it cranks, runs, and drives. Had to make a little celebratory block around the neighborhood.

Comment

try this

hi
            i had the same prob you got took me a long time to get it sorted
            this is worth a try
            the speed sensor does not use a full time power feed
            it uses a pluse to start then no power needed
            try nowt to loose
            there are two wires going to the speed sensor after starting the truck up
            as you look at the pump cut the left hand wire [you can rejoin after trying]
            if the truck runs better with the wire cut
            your prob is the same as mine was
            faulty ecu
            i replaced mine and truck run like new
            i was getting same fault code 13
            all the best
            the old git

Comment

Working...
            X