yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd whistling from forward nearside (KZN185)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd whistling from forward nearside (KZN185)

Guys. I'm new to the forum and new to owning a 3rd gen 3.0TD Surf and have a question I'm hoping you could help with.

When the car is in drive ie. in gear, clutch engaged, regardless of gear (it's a manual, by the way) there is a fairly noticeable whistling type noise coming from the forward nearside corner of the car. I can't tell if it's coming from inside the cabin or from the engine bay (or other) - just the general area. It doesn't vary with engine or road speed and remains fairly constant in pitch and volume. It's also more of an "ooooh" sound (as in Typhoo). If I dip the clutch the sound goes away.

I'm no mechanic, by any means, but it'd be nice to know where to possibly point the mechanic when I get him to investigate (hopefully without appearing to be a know-it-all!). Any advice from your good selves is gratefully received!

Have you checked the glove box for Roger Whittaker?

Failing that i would assume something backwards of the flywheel...
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Clutch release bearing is my guess.,
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

All sounds a bit expensive.....Took the car for another spin to listen out for it again and the noise persists with the clutch disengaged; not as I'd said above - clutch engaged only. I'll monitor it further. Thanks for your replies!
        Last edited by TeaMonsta; 11 October 2012, 21:57.

Comment

UPDATE: See post here - http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78025

But basically -

1 - Noise starts at between 1000 and 1500rpm, disappears below that engine speed band (explains why it generally disappears on a gear-change/clutch dipped)

2 - Noise occurs regardless of whether the car is stationary or not

3 - Heater fans have no effect on noise

4 - Noise does not change in pitch or volume; it's either there or it's not

5 - Noise can only be heard from inside the car, coming from the area opposite the passenger seat

Flummoxed. But then, I should be; I have very little knowledge of mechanics.

Comment

Might have the answer, as I was about to post on here as well.

Check the flexi hose from the filter box to intake pipe over rocker cover. I have found mine has split in two through one of the ribs. Only noticed it by where it was parked and a low sun shining through windscreen and reflecting.
            I have taped mine up and the whistling seems to have gone.

My question for some of the more experienced people on here, from reading an earlier post, is the silicone hose from roughtrax flexible enough to take the stresses from engine to filter box. A post may years ago was from a user saying his airbox mouting was shearing, and one reply was the silicone hose is not flexible enough to soak up the engine movement and was pulling the airbox from side to side.

Any views would be most appreciated, before I try and source a new flexi hose.

Regards Andy

Comment

Great stuff, thanks Andy. I'll have a thorough check of the hoses you've mentioned.

Comment

xmas message

have you had a good look
                i think it,s the PIED PIPER
                calling out the grems lol
                the old git

Comment

Sparkie, the answer is no, it can't absorb vibration well enough and in time will crack one of the air box mountings. Best to get another toyota one.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks for the answer regards the hose. Will do a search for a new Toyota part.

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                      Sparkie, the answer is no, it can't absorb vibration well enough and in time will crack one of the air box mountings. Best to get another toyota one.
                      I beg to differ mate, I've seen broken airbox mounts on trucks with orginal hoses.

Most of them are trucks with body lifts, and the hose pulls down on the airbox unless you alter it.

It dosn't effect 3rd Gens anyway, only metal 2nd Gen airboxes, turd Gen ones are plastic.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

With regards to the hose, anyone have a supplier for a new one. Roughtrax only list silicone ones and Milners have the one for the intercooled model only.

Will it be a Toyota supply part only?

Thanks

Comment

Hi, Sorry to revive the old thread, but my surf appears to have the same whistle coming from the passenger side.

The noise comes in around 1500rpm, but its not the turbo related.

It is almost constant regardless of the engine load.
                          It happens when stationary and when driving ( Auto Box)

I checked the intake pipes and no leaks. While listening the engine running from outside, it is very hard to hear it, and the noise is the loudest from inside and appears to be coming from the front passenger side. Its almost like a wind draft howling noise.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Comment

It's a weird one, isn't it? Hope we can get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Mine used to whistle...turned out to be the alternate.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X