Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator refurb in Poole, Dorset

Hi all,

I think (but I'm no expert) my alternator on my '95 kzn130 has died (usual signs -lights on the dash, only putting out 11.5v as far as I can tell). Does anyone know of a decent refurber in Poole and how much it would cost or should I just go for a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Hi mate,

Ive got a used one you can have for 45.00 plus a bit of post. I see your only up the road so you would be able collect if you want. Might be the cheapest way to get you up and running again.

Not sure how much a rebuild is but a new one is 138.00.

Comment

Thanks for that pal. Just wondering whether it's worth taking the hit and get a new one, if so, from where?
      Any advice appreciated.

I may be in touch though - any dea how many miles yours has done?

Comment

Not sure on the miles on mine but the guy I bought it off told me he had it replaced around three years ago so I wouldnt think it has that many miles on it.

Try Milner off road - 138.00 plus delivery

Or Roughtrax - Not sure how much from them though.

Let me know what you decide.

Comment

Many thanks, I will be in touch if needed.

Comment

Ok, saga continues. Tried some more WD40 and a tap on the housing. Tried it again but no change batteries only showing 12.55 (they've been on trickle charge all day) so after one minute killed it to be met with a smouldering alternator?!!!! On inspection One of the 'vent bars' on the main body has snapped and so could be inside the body. If it isn't inside could it be the wd40? Either way I'm now not keen on running it again so effectively I have properly buggered it and now can't move it.
            If I ease the tensioner bolt and slip off the belts this should enable me to atleast move the truck? Do those belts run anything else?
            Any help appreciated, pretty gutted that tinkering late last night may have caused this, atleast prior it would run along as there was charge in the battery! As my wife informed me yesterday in an effort to cheer me up when she could tell I was ####ed off that the Surf was faltering 'don't worry darling it has just turned itself in to a hybrid'!!!
            Not impressed - I've been looking forward to taking the truck out for the past 4 months and now it's been scuppered.
            Cheers,
            Tom.

Comment

Just unplug the alternator wiring and tape up the big white ring terminal whilst you move it. Intersting that your alt started smoking - has the main output that goes to fuse box become shorted to earth ? I've had the same problem.

Comment

Thanks, been trying to unplug it but it won't budge (just depress in the middle and pull out?). Fuse seems fine. Just worried that shard of metal may have dropped in to the body. Will keep trying to unplug and then atleast I can self drive. May invest in a fire extinguisher first?!

Comment

Disconnect the white wire asap as on mine it shorted the battery to earth, even with the ignition off..

Comment

Done, the plug was a little stubborn but it came round to my way of thinking in the end. I'm only around for the week so need to fit in getting the alt out, presuming it is the alt that's the issue not the wiring.
                    Thanks for the advice.
                    T

Comment

What garage do you use TASR12? Just moved her and my 4runner is playing up in ways I'm not sure how to fix

Comment

It was just off the Ashley Road but I don't have the number in my phone any longer.
                        I've googled and it there is one shown as Library Road Garage which if it wasn't this one it was very close.
                        I will try and find out next week if you can wait until then?

Library Road
                        Poole, Dorset BH12 2BE, United Kingdom
                        01202 735826

Comment

cheers man yeah doubt its gonna blow up any time soon just some weird squeek thats intermittent that goes when i press the clutch

Comment

Working...
                          X