Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise...

Hi there,
    anybody that could help diagnose this noise my 3rd Gen has developed?
    It's a sort of rattle , or more like the "ding" of a bell,quite metallic, it comes from the driver's side but not sure if from the front wheel or the rear. It appears after driving a few miles, as the vehicle warms up. It becomes faster with speed, it kind of goes together with the wheel's revolution. -t's not affected by breaking, in the sense that the noise does't change, only slows down as the wheels themselves slow down. The brake pads were changed recently, I wonder if they might have anything to do with it...It's really a bit of a pain, expecially in town, where the noise becomes louder as it bounces off the walls and houses, if you know what I am trying to say....:O)
    Other than that the car drives fine. Any suggestions?

Cheers and happy surfing everyone!

I'd get it warmed up and making the noise, then jack each wheel up and spin to see if you can tell what wheel it is.

Then pull the wheel off and check the brakes and all the pad retaining pins and clips are ok.

Could be anything disc/pad/bearing/CV/UJ related really, or maybe a CV clip has come loose and hitting something.

Is it one 'ding' per wheel revolution, or lots of dings?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Stone guard.
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Will do...

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, I will jack it up as soon as I have some time this week and try and see what's rubbing. It sounds like one ding per revolution, I'll see if it still makes it when I manually spin the wheels.
        Cheers
        :

Comment

The bearing cap in the centre of the wheel is loose. My lifted 2.4 used to do this. Try wedging a small piece of material (I used a small bit of wooden clothes peg) between the bearing cap and the wheel. That will stop the movement and the noise will disappear.
          En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

inside the caliper...

Hi there,
            I have jacked the car as recomended and removed the wheel, and then I have started to manually spin the whole hub. The ding comes from inside the caliper, you can hear it clearly, once on each full revolution. Any ideas as to what it could be? What about those metal springy bits, wear indicators, on the brake pads?could they be catching on something? The pads are Ferodo and they have only done around 300 miles.

Cheers

Comment

Got something stuck in your ventilated disc?
              Just turn it slowly and work out what it is .

Comment

Check the inside of your disc to see if it's got a crack in it.

Comment

Will open it up

Thanks for all your suggestions, the disc doesn't seem to have a crack, I will take the pads out and have a better look, in case something is stuck in there. Wil keep you posted,
                  cheers!

Comment

Solved

My mechanic and I decided to remove the new pads and give everything a good clean. We the refitted the pads and the noise has gone, it has been over a week now. So we'll never know what the cause was, never mind. The mechanic was surprised at the size of the exaust, it seems to be around 3" or even 3 1/2 " in diameter. It seems to have come from Japan like that. I have looked through past posts on the matter but - couldn't find a definite answer as to why one fit such things. What does the better airflow do? Does it improve performance? Or gives better cooling? Or neither..thanks and regards to all.
                    :O)

Comment

Working...
                    X