Argh!! my baby not well plz help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh!! my baby not well plz help

Hi all yesterday took the truck to oakwood (and the family) not a problem going but on the way back managed 3 miles then engine light came on and temp went in red stopped luck there was a station pulled in steam every where a big puddle of rusty coolant, so waited half hour to put water in 9 ltrs looked under the truck and seen the water running out, long story shortish phoned road assist a mechanic come out had a look and seems to think it a coolant pipe at the back of the head has split, he called for a flatbed to take us home.
    So any help would be fantastic.

Jest hope the head is not cracked

Thanks Martyn
    "I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Originally posted by Spike78 View Post
    steam every where a big puddle of rusty coolant

What do you expect to happen if you don't maintain the cooling system?

No sympathy really.

Nev

Comment

had not long done the coolant about 6 months ago(with the red coolant) and checked b4 each trip hadn't lost anything and almost as clear as it went in so how do you say i didnt maintain it.

Comment

How did the old coolant look? Strange that it has contaminated so quickly. No doubt there is a problem elsewhere.

How long was it running hot for?

Comment

running hot for max of 2 maybe 3 mins till i could stop what im thinking of is that on the last change i forgot to check the rear heaters so could there be some crud in the rear section.

Its never been higher than half way even when i done Swansea to Plymouth

Comment

What help are you looking for exactly???
            Find the leak and fix that first! The mechanic is right in saying there's a pipe running round the back of the head.There's also two smaller rubber hoses feeding the throttle body that could have split.
            You're going to have to get your hands dirty and find it.Once you have the leak fixed you can run the truck and see what if any damge has been done,either just by driving it or a gas sniff test.

Good luck
            Mark

Comment

Spike78, didn't you say you had a "puddle of rusty coolant" come out? Then you seem to criticise Nev for asking, "What do you expect to happen if you don't maintain the cooling system?" I also don't want to criticise you for your problems, but, hey, if I had rusty water coming out of my coolant system, and I'd recently 'serviced' the system, I'd worry about my maintenance practices too.

Comment

not rusty water jest b4 took the car to garage checked the tran oil and it was orange so was not rusty water any way pipe has broke at the back and some how water gone into the trans.

Was not meant to criticize nev sorry if it seemed like it but i love my baby and got very stressed, and i check oil water and trans fluid at least twice a week more if i go on a long trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike78 View Post
                  not rusty water jest b4 took the car to garage checked the tran oil and it was orange so was not rusty water any way pipe has broke at the back and some how water gone into the trans.
                  Sorry mate, but you are going to have to translate that into a language I understand.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    Sorry mate, but you are going to have to translate that into a language I understand.

Nev
                    lol jest b4 garage came to pick her up i checked the red dip stick(dont know why) looks like water got in there. they can do it but going to cost a lot and they dont know if the head has gone without taking it all apart.

Comment

The only way for water to get into transmission is from the transmission oil cooler in the bottom of radiator. Now if cooling system was corroded then this is what can happen. It's a tube that runs across radiator inside the bottom tank. Water in the auto transmission could be very expensive to fix.

Nev

Comment

i think it might be time to look for another surf

Comment

I've had my ATF cooler inside the radiator and it somehow cracked and the ATF leaked into the engine but into the cooling ducts only where water flows. When you open the radiator cap, bammm, the dreaded "strawberry milk shake syndrome"....
                          Spike78, It's somehow very very difficult for your water to mix with oil if that incident happened only once.
                          My pull over and rest occurred so many times almost 15x i guess. Still, thank goodness, thank God, my engine head didnot break or crack. Only a minor reface was done. So minor, the machine shop gave me a discount.
                          When I notice loss of power and heat goes up, I stop immediately and chill for about half an hour to 45mins.

BTW, you can check your oil dipstick(yellow) to see any water+engine oil mix.
                          And, your ATF dipstick (red).

I feel that your radiator or some part of it is corroded, no rescue there, even with new coolant and distilled water.

was there some pink like substance? or maybe since your coolant is red, you can't determine that.

I presume your engine head is just fine.

Here's what I suggest.

1. Replace your Radiator. (hi-performance if possible.) don't worry about the ATF if you make sure you have item#2 below:
                          [I have ordered a 4tube/4chamber radiator for my surfy]

**IF you cant get Hi-Perf radiator, then just get a BrandNew one. Show your old one as sample(just in-case). If you are able to get a regular radiator that is 4tube/4chamber, soooo much the better, because the RAD that you have is just a 3Tube/3Chamber. (this should not cost you so much because you're doing the leg work and you learn different rates & learn first hand from parts retailers.) So Shop around, gather intel, type, brand, price etc, BEFORE you buy.

2. use an aftermarket ATF cooler, aircooled the one that hangs out off away from your radiator.
                          3. scout for good honest not scoundrel type mechanics.
                          The work is simple really. especially for a mechanic. Don't buy their "level of difficulty bullshit".
                          4. REPLACE your WATERPUMP,
                          5. place a Engine Thermostat (hi-performance) if possible 75 or 80 grade, the lower the better.
                          6. Rad Cap of 0.8
                          7. Now if you decide to do a overhaul, be it, semi-overhaul or some call it top-overhaul IF you want to, you can do a full overhaul. up to you. but "top-overhaul" will do. BUT still up to you. Take the engine head to a machine shop, have it refaced or resurfaced if needed, they will tell you, anyway. You can port&polish it too as well. You can ask them what they can do to have an extra performance from the head.
                          Maybe you can have the water chambers rebored, resized a bit. to increase its water capacity. (only, if they can do it)
                          This one is better (in my opinion):
                          OR... purchase a 3L head, it directly fits into the 2L-TE. actually the 3L head is the official replacement of the 2L-T/2LTE TD heads when they were recalled.

Goodluck.
                          Last edited by mj1226; 13 September 2012, 05:51.

Comment

Guys,

My korean mechanic keeps telling me "oil cooler" (oy koolah)
                            I know that I looks like an oil filter. I've seen it long ago in a car being hoisted. But Is there actually an "oil cooler" somewhere in the 2LTE TD or any SURF engine at all?

It's hard to decipher him cuz of our language barrier. 90% of the time, gestures, signals and very very limited english words, that somehow gets compounded due to his foreign tongue.

thanks to all for your help.

Comment

The engine oil cooler is what the oil filter screws into on the 2.4.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 12 September 2012, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X