Pitting in bores ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitting in bores ...

Took the head off my 3.0 today ready to fit my shiny new one tomorrow..

It's been sitting for a while and seems the no.2 and 3 cylinders have got some corrosion in them. Most is surface rust but there is a pit that would seem to match the piston rings going around both bores about 3" from the top of the cylinder.

Is it possible to hone the cylinder, fit new rings and be ok or do I need to look for a new block ?

In the pics I've given one a sand over to remove all the surface grot, the other is as found.

Cheers,
    Rob.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Technically its not good, but if you don't mind taking the head off again later, for the price of a head gasket and bolts I'd be tempted to see how it runs before going to all the trouble of a rebuilt/used short block.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'm kind of with Tony on this one. If that were a customer's truck; I'd rebuild or replace the bottom end. On my own truck; I'd see how it goes with the new head.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks both of you for the input . Think I'll spend the evenings this week swapping all the bits over to the new head and have a long think about what to do.

Rob.

Comment

Has the pitting and corrosion occured while the head was off, cover with oily rags to prevent further damage.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              Has the pitting and corrosion occured while the head was off, cover with oily rags to prevent further damage.
              No the head only came off yesterday.

Comment

as tony said its the cost of a head gasket, its not as if your paying someone labour charges, but mmmm in morroco and it all goes tits up, and you have a choice of about 6 blocks to take your pick from for £100,
                JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Cheers Tel - just been looking at engine stands. Thank God I'm going to be doing this in the lovely British summer...

Comment

Picked up a good block on Sat from my friendly local breakers {thanks Terry @ jap4x4parts }

Block is a 4runner one - is it just the crankshaft sensor that needs swapping over or should I swap all of them ?

Will fit new rear crank seal before fitting.

Rob.

Comment

May i interject !

Mine was done a few months ago with very similar pitting and as yet nothing to report hopefully not cursed myself !

@Tony

Do you have a 3.0 Turbo Oil return pipe as since having the head done i can see where the oil leak has been.
                      Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X