Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked head causes burning oil?

Hi guys,

Trying to find a definite answer as the search didn't come up trumps.

My rad has a slight water leak (evidence is rust patches on the inside of the matrix and brown water when running with no coolant).

I didn't know about this when I bought the car and ended up roasting the engine when the water ran out. Since then it bellows blue smoke, mostly when cold but sometimes i have seen it when idling at full temp. Seems more like the rings to me rather than the stem seals as it burns oil when its been running a while.
    However could it be leaking to the cylinders if the head is cracked?

I don't have any mayo on the filler cap and the rad is not pressurised when cold so that is something.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What vehicle?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm going to guess at a 1994 3.0...

Comment

I'm guessing Austin Maxi?

Comment

A 'normal' cracked head won't have anything to do with oil. So is probably just engine wear.

You'll need to compression test it to tell which cylinder it is, or what the cause is.

If its done it since it overheated, what can happen is the piston can expand and jam in the bore and scratches the cylinders walls so you get oil blow by when its all back to normal.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. My compression tester won't work with a diesel so will look into it as a later date.

Not too fused about the smog cloud I leave in my wake as long as the head is good. Must have had a lucky escape. The fact it has a duff glow plug probably doesn't help but I will be changing that when I service it.

Comment

Working...
            X