Strange engine management fault.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange engine management fault.

Hello Everyone. I have a 1996 3.0 diesel Surf auto with a fault that is baffling me,has anyone come across this before? I bought it last year as a non runner with a cracked head and rusted bores as a project.It was running fine before.Built one good engine out of three,fitted it and it started easily,but after two minutes the injector timing seems to drift off and it rattles to a halt.The resistance and voltages of all the engine and pump sensors is OK,there are no fault codes stored and the MIL light is off.Timing,injectors and exhaust have all been checked.fuel system bypassed and pump gravity fed from a slave tank.The ECU and injector pump have also been changed and the fault remains the same. now the strange part, when I connect my HST 888 chinese scanner to the diagnostic socket,the engine runs like a dream.All the live data seems to be correct as well.As soon as I disconnect the scanners power supply the engine stops.It will start if you pump the accelerator pedal or hold it open but it revs up three times with a half second cut between each rev up,then rattles to a halt again.The MIL light flashes regularly with the scanner connected but it runs fine.Does anyone have any ideas,or maybe a pinout diagram for the diagnostic socket and ECU as it seems to be getting a feed of some description from the scanner even though I cannot detect anything with a multimeter.

Any help greatly appreciated with this one as I am stumped.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Sounds rather like an earthing issue - just a guess based on similar experiences with bike engines.
    Mark

Comment

engine stoping

hi
      just a fort have you put the jumper pin
      in the diog socket
      i had one that would not run with it out
      the old git

Comment

Baffling electrical fault

Originally posted by bryanisaoldgit View Post
        hi
        just a fort have you put the jumper pin
        in the diog socket
        i had one that would not run with it out
        Yes I have tried both jumper pin possibilities with no change.
        Just remembered,the rev counter reads way to slow without the scanner plugged in, and it,s fine with it.Does anyone know where I can get a detailed wiring diagram for the engine management system?

Thanks,

Simon.

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm

Comment

Working...
          X