Removing 2nd Gen Auto Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 2nd Gen Auto Box

I've had a look with the search bar and google itself, but only found a thread on removing a manual box.
    Please be patient, I haven't removed anything more complicated than the water pump on the truck yet so simple steps will be appreciated.

How do I get the auto box out? It's leaking like a bastid stilll (Wynn's stop leak didn't work) I need it fixed before I sell it and need to drive a long way on the 10th.

I'm guessing I need to:
    - Drain the box
    - remove drive safts
    - errrm

Anyone know of a cross section diagram on the gearbox/engine section? Would make life much easier and enable me to understand what I'm looking for. Or anyone near Bristol that has a dry area to work in and doesn't mind pointing me in the right direction would be amazing, obviously I'll supply donuts/cake/whatever if you do.
    Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

It's basically the same as the manual box, apart from unbolting the torque converter from the flex plate through a little hole at the bottom of the bell housing can be tricky, and thats its a damn site heavier than the manual.

If you have a body lift you can pull the gearbox off the converter (but you will get covered in oil) and remove it after.

The most important thing is on reassembly to get the converter properly fitted, you have to get the pump lugs in place, and two other sets of splines lined up before fitting the box.

The rest is just muscle and working logically through it.

Take the t/case off first to make it lighter and easier to manage, but you'll still probably need help lifting it on and off. You can do it on your own, but they are heavy and needs tilting and twisting and wriggling to get on, so hard to do off a jack.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Had a chat with some transmission people, they reckoned it was the bushing behind the torque converter, where do I get one of them?
      Roughtrax dont seem to do the front seal and bushes I think I need.
      Last edited by Eddleston; 4 May 2012, 14:07.
      Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

Not sure, I've only ever changed the converter shaft seal itself, which I'm sure I got from Roughtrax, but wouldn't be the end of the world to get from Toyota.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X